Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Bug] Enabling Assembly Definitions makes it uncompileable
Hello.

I wanna report this important bug.

You have cyclic references between your classes which belongs to different libraries via assembly definitions.

ToolBuddy.Curvy library references FluffyUnderware.DevTools library and at the same time two classes in FluffyUnderware.DevTools references classes/methods in ToolBuddy.Curvy.

These classes are in DTUtility.cs and Extensions.cs.

Can you please fix this problem?

Also, if you keep the assembly definitions as disabled, it causes two serious problems.

1) Use of assembly definition must be promoted. Re-enabling them one by one after updating your package every time is really problematic to the user.
2) During your development, you can't avoid creating more cyclic references if you keep assembly definitions disabled on your end.

Can you please enable them by default?

Regards.
Hi,
Sorry for that regression I introduced. I will send you via PM the corrected files. I will answer the remaining of your post tomorrow (it is midnight now where I live)
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Thank you very much.
Hi,
Having asmdef files by default in Curvy is a subject where I don't have a strong opinion. I "feel" that doing having them by default will create me issues on the long run. I would not be surprised to have a 1 star review from someone not happy by a side effect of the usage of asmdefs Big Grin Please keep in mind that I have customers ranging from people who know nothing about coding to CTOs of average sized companies. Curvy needs to somehow target all those people.
So that's why I want that only users who know what asmdefs are and why they need them to have them active. For other people, the middle ground is having the Curvy folder by default in the Plugins folder, which avoid recompilation unless the Plugins folder is modified.
But I get that renaming the asmdef.disabled files after each update can be annoying. For this:
  • I added a task on my todo list to make asmdefs more easily activable, like having a button to generate them or a package file with asmeds included in the Curvy package
  • For now, you can just update Curvy without deleting the old version's folder, this way you will keep the asmdef files you had. This is because the update process is a simple package extraction, and can't remove/move files already existing in your project.
    I know, this is against my own advise which is to delete Curvy folders before each update. That advise was there for people who know very little about programming, because when I made an update were I refactored a lot of code, including moving/removing files, I had a lot of complains about Curvy not compiling, since the removed files were still there after the update. You on the other hand seem to know enough about coding, so if I move/remove a file in a future update and you get a compilation error after the update, I believe that you will think about removing the old version's folder and import the new version again.
Like I said in the beginning, I don't have a strong opinion on this subject, so feel free to discuss the subject with me.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Nice explanation. Even thou many other 3rd party asset publishers keep assembly definitions enabled by default, I understand your concern. Thank you for taking time to explain.
You are welcome. And thanks for the suggestion.
Next update will have a button to generate the asmdef files
(05-03-2020, 06:41 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Next update will have a button to generate the asmdef files

Is there mentioned button anywhere? I am unable to find it anywhere in v 8.0.1 Sad
(03-05-2022, 07:28 PM)nehvaleem Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 06:41 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Next update will have a button to generate the asmdef files

Is there mentioned button anywhere? I am unable to find it anywhere in v 8.0.1 Sad

Hi
The button was implemented since. You can find it in the toolbar, under the Curvy Options button: https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/to...vy_options
Have a nice day

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Assembly Definitions (Solved) lacota 3 6 06-01-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
Question Error after upgrade: (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) boriskourt 3 7 05-17-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Bug in Spline makes unity freeze FritsLyn 13 31,574 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Jake