Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help to achieve reverse spline walk
Hello!

I recently downloaded Unity and then last week got the Curvy 2 asset, seems like a great one!

I am trying to use splines to make a 2d game plaformer level with something like a roller-coaster. I was thinking using the tangent for acceleration of speed could be a nice effect. I tried to  change the MotorController.cs example a little bit. The speed increases when going downwards, and decreases when "climbing" a hill nicely, but when it goes below zero it does not go backwards. 

See this youtube video for how it looks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrNKKiSY9M

My approach might be wrong? Below is the code I have used:

Code:
   public class MotorController : SplineController
   {
       [Section("Motor")]
       public float MaxSpeed = 30.0f;
       public float acceleration = 3.0f;

protected override void Update()
       {
           Vector3 tangent = Spline.GetTangentFast(RelativePosition);
           Vector3 orientation = Spline.GetOrientationUpFast(RelativePosition);

Debug.DrawLine(transform.position, transform.position + tangent * 6.0f, Color.red);
           Debug.DrawLine(transform.position, transform.position + orientation * 6.0f, Color.blue);            

//Debug.Log("tangent: " + tangent);
           float someAcc = tangent.magnitude * (acceleration * Time.deltaTime) * Mathf.Sign(tangent.y)*-1.0f;
           //Debug.Log("Acc: " + someAcc);

Speed += someAcc;

//Speed = Input.GetAxis("Vertical") * MaxSpeed;
           Debug.Log("Speed: " + Speed);
           base.Update();
       }
   }
What you want to know is this piece of information: "Note that speed changes the movement direction only if it was “0” before!" I missed to update the docs (just did it!), so it was only present in the changelog - sorry.

So you'll need to change your code like

Code:
float newSpeed=Speed+someacc;
if (Mathf.Sign(Speed)!=Mathf.Sign(newSpeed))
{
Speed=0;
Speed=newSpeed;
}

I agree that this is somewhat odd, but it was the most reliable way to solve a problem when moving over several connected splines. It's most likely that this behaviour will drop in the future in favor of a more sophisticated solution, though.
If you don't like that behaviour, just override the Speed property in your custom controller and remove the "m_Speed==0 && " condition in the property's setter!
Hello Jake, thank you. That worked like a charm! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 1 1 56 minutes ago
Last Post: _Aka_
  Get position of all control points for a spline gekido 1 2 1 hour ago
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 13 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM