Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connection survives spline duplication
Hi folks,

As a newbie I opened 03_Connections, duplicated the InnerShape (inner ring), translated it Northbound just past the OuterShape so that they touch, and made a connection between their overlapping control points.

First problem (solved, but took an hour): making a connection was not explained in the videos or docs; someone's forum thread set me straight (gotta select both points and then Connect, which doesn't always work for me)
Second problem: nothing happened; the spaceship never takes this route. As if there was no connection.
Third problem (not Curvy specific; I'm a Unity newbie too): while the preexisting splines are visible in full color in runtime, my spline isn't (I handmade another spline and that's not visible in runtime either) - no idea how to associate it with runtime color
Fourth problem: even when I associate the Plane Controller with my new spline, it goes a bit along that, then abruptly jumps back to another circle. What seems to happen is that the North CP of the duplicated InnerShape still "remembers" its participation in a connection that is legitimately present in the spline I cloned from. But of course it no longer makes sense in the duplicated and translated copy. So I went ahead and disassociated the North CP (CP0000) from the connection, with the little X button in Control Point Options / Control Point on the Inspector panel. Which worked, but it also impacted the spline I cloned from! Which therefore no longer functions. My theory is that duplicating the spline object just retained the reference to the original connections, ie. performed a shallow copy rather than a deep copy. But this theory doesn't help me much as I think there's a ton of value in being able to duplicate a spline which was in some connections and use it afresh.

While it may not be Curvy specific, I also ran into a series of problems with undo (works about as often as it doesn't), so I acquired the habit of saving the scene in known good states, and re-opening (without save) the scene if something goes awry.

While I'm going through learning Unity's idiosyncracies, does someone know:
- how to color my new spline for runtime visibility, like the existing ones in 13_connections
- how to make the spaceship sometimes take the junction
- how to Duplicate a spline so it doesn't carry the participations in connections

Messages In This Thread
Connection survives spline duplication - by rmrmrm - 05-10-2020, 05:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 3 6 04-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Get position of all control points for a spline gekido 1 6 03-28-2024, 10:08 PM
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
Thumbs Up Can't delete connection lacota 3 6 03-16-2024, 11:34 AM