Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best practice for mass-object instancing along 100km spline (railways) plus streaming
Hello there,

I'd like to find out if there is a good way to use Curvy for instancing of objects along very long splines (100km+) in combination with World Streamer.

In our current workflow we are creating railway sleepers in an external 3D Suite and import the instanced geometry via .fbx export/import in chunks of 50.000 objects per import. This process takes forever and the result is very hard on the applications performance.

One of our team mebers has been using Curvy for this in the past but the cooking times were not handleable anymore at some point. So I'd like to give it a chance again with a best practise.

- can someone please give hints on how to realise a performant way to create geometry instances every 60cm on a 100km Spline with curvy?
- would it be possible to use GPU instancing or other methods to increase performance?
- is there a limitation for the number of control points? The raw data that I'm getting are linear splines with CPs every 2m in dxf format. When reducing the number of CPs, precision has to stay within a few cm.

There are areas where I have up to 16 lanes each with sleepers every 60cm for kilometers. It is very dense geometry and the draw calls are just insane (30-60k with all the other stuff). But this is a secondary issue. First up I'd like to improve on the geometry creation process which currently takes days due to export/import workflows.

Greetz, Bodo

Messages In This Thread
Best practice for mass-object instancing along 100km spline (railways) plus streaming - by bs@vectorvision.de - 09-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 3 6 04-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Get position of all control points for a spline gekido 1 6 03-28-2024, 10:08 PM
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 14 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM