Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General questions about this asset for a sim game
Hi guys,

This asset looks great and I'm really hoping it'll help me get a head-start in the game I am making but I have a few questions to see if this asset will be suitable?

The game I am making will be a train/railway sim/tycoon game so I am wondering the following:

Will this asset allow a player to lay railway track in real time? I know you can draw splines in the example WebGL demo, but how easily could this be changed to train tracks?

If the above can be done, how easily can it be made to follow the shape of terrain/slopes etc?

Can it be used either with pathfinding like A* or in some other way use pathfinding to make sure trains take the correct splines/tracks between stations?

Basically long story short is this going to be a good place to start a tycoon/sim game with lots of trains needing to follow set paths between stations (using junctions automatically etc).

Thanks for any thoughts! Smile
Hello,

1- yes, you can edit splines, and update all objects spawning or mesh extrusion tied to it, in real time. Of course, you will be limited by how much CPU time you want to allow on this operation. This page has general performance tips that will help: https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/performancetips

2- There is a Conform Path (https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/conformpath) module that allows you to project a path against a collider, including a terrain collider. I am working on some enhancements on that module. If you buy the asset and start using the Conform Path module before the next update is released, let me know so I can send you via PM the enhanced code.

3- There is no AI related feature included in Curvy Splines. You can of course use Curvy's API to retrieve information about the splines that you will later use in your AI solution.

4- Yes it is a good place to start. The controllers will allow you to move train and define their behavior at the junctions. But keep in mind, this is not an out of the box railway game template, you will definitely have to code things to make the game, so if you don't know how to code, maybe this is not the asset for you.

Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Hi thanks so much for your reply, seems to be a good place to start then! I do code to a fairly decent level but quite new to c# overall, I look forward to trying out this asset and yes it'd be good to get that conform path update when it lands thank you!

It's great to see an active forum for an asset as so many don't seem to have any help at all nevermind a nice community!

Thanks again Big Grin
You are welcome
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(07-09-2020, 12:21 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: I am working on some enhancements on that module. If you buy the asset and start using the Conform Path module before the next update is released, let me know so I can send you via PM the enhanced code.

That enhancement ended up being more complicated than what I imagined. The next update being a small one, I am delaying this enhancement to a future big update.
(07-26-2020, 05:47 PM)_Aka_ Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 12:21 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: I am working on some enhancements on that module. If you buy the asset and start using the Conform Path module before the next update is released, let me know so I can send you via PM the enhanced code.

That enhancement ended up being more complicated than what I imagined. The next update being a small one, I am delaying this enhancement to a future big update.

Ah that is a shame, do you have any idea at all on an ETA for the big update? I.e this year? Many thanks and sorry for the late reply been on holiday! Smile
I have no ETA, but if by using the module you have any issue write me about it and I'll find you a solution.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can Curve Spline be used for an in game level editor. Lupos 30 71 06-03-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Animating a shape on along a spline will not playback in scene or game views sam_bond 3 9 05-03-2023, 11:41 AM
  building game changes UV spaces for generated mesh scr33ner 9 15 01-18-2023, 09:16 AM
Lightbulb In Game Roads - Curvy Generator Prefab? etoreo 3 12 01-05-2023, 09:16 AM