Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple controllers on one spline breaks stuff
Ok, I'm trying to understand what you say. What do you mean by replaced and do you have any suggestions what I should do?
But if it's not because of Curvy, shouldn't it happen all the time, not just when you use multiple of them with the controller?
Hi,
I will send you a fixed scene later today, in few hours
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Hi again
So here is how I fixed the issue:
  1. Opened GameObject (1) prefab
  2. Duplicated its obj 5 child. The duplicated object is called obj 5 (1)
  3. Gave obj 5 (1) the same transform as obj 6
  4. Gave obj 5 (1)'s child RetopoGroup6 the same name, material and mesh than obj 6's child RetopoGroup5
  5. Deactivated obj6's game object
  6. Saved the prefab
  7. Went back to Scene 2, and hit play. Everything is working correctly
I attached the modified prefab just in case

Attached Files
.zip   GameObject (1).zip (Size: 2.19 KB / Downloads: 1)
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Yes it actually works. You are amazing. Thank you.

So it had nothing to do with Curvy, it was just bad luck that it happened like it did?
What was the error, some sort of name conflict? How did you figure that out and what can I do to make sure that I won't bother you with dumb shit again?

Thanks man. Smile
You are welcome. Now you have to put my name in the credits, and give me 12.5% of the revenue of your project :p Big Grin
Seriously though, and to give you my train of thought:
  • First I opened the scene and saw the issue
  • I removed all the unnecessary objects, in hope that this will fix the issue. If it had, I could restore the objects one by one and find the culprit.
  • It didn't work, because even with the least amount of objects the issue was still there
  • I checked the objects in hope to find a script or something that will make the object move differently than what the Spline Controllers do. I found nothing
  • I tried to see if there is any difference between an object with the issue and one with none
  • I noticed that in playmode the name of the mesh becomes the weird thing I told you about
  • I tried to find if there is any script that modifies the mesh, maybe it was modifying it and translating the vertices at the same time. Found no such script
  • Opened both meshs in hope to find a lead of any sort, found noting.
  • tried replacing the mesh in the problematic object with the one from the working object, and it worked
So until now I don't know what is the origin of the issue. But I am happy with not knowing Big Grin
If it was my project, I would still be ok with not knowing the issue as long as it happened once. If it happened more often, I would put more efforts in understanding what the issue is.
And in general, when confronting an issue for which I can't find the origin, I always try to reduce (a copy of) the project to its minimal state reproducing the issue. Usually when you reach that point, the issue becomes obvious. Also, creating a brand new project and trying to reproduce the issue in helps sometimes.
I read this book years ago, I found it very interesting. I advise it to you as to any programmer
Why Programs Fail: A Guide to Systematic Debugging
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6882295-why-programs-fail
(01-02-2020, 08:26 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: You are welcome. Now you have to put my name in the credits, and give me 12.5% of the revenue of your project :p Big Grin
You joke, but seriously you never know. If I need someone to make this launch ready I know one to ask. Big Grin
But that is far in the future, lets hope I don't burn out before that though.

I didn't expect you to do this though and then write your process in such detail. I was expecting something like "Oh this bug is something I come across daily when some assholes think it's my product". Big Grin I will check that out and lets hope I won't have to bother you more, but sometimes you need a 2nd persons input.

Thanks man.
You never know what the future holds. Just make sure that you give yourself enough rest to avoid burnouts. And keep in mind, big projects (nearly) always take waaay more time than expected.
I am curious about your project if you don't mind sharing.
Have a nice day

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 1 1 11 hours ago
Last Post: _Aka_
  Get position of all control points for a spline gekido 1 2 11 hours ago
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 13 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM