Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UV issue with variable mix shape modifier
Dear members of Curvy Forum.  I have an issue with UV when using the mix shape modifier. 

I have a simple boxed close profile of 4 points , a set up with 3 materials and each point contains the relevant MetaCG information to link them to their corresponding material IDs. 

EDIT: Bottom right cp name should be CP3.

When creating the roads using a single profile this is the result  (Which is what I would like to have)

I have different road segments with different profiles (same profile configuration as previously shown but with different separation between points to create different width)

I want to be able to modify the end width of a segment to match the start width of another segment and I thought I could use the modifier "Variable Mix Shapes".  Originally, I started with something simple, so I create a generator that feeds the variable mix shape with two copies of the same profile .  However, that introduced  UV issues and the geometry has now dark patches.

Material 0 (Which is the asphalt on top of the road) has an uniform UV scale of 20.  I thought this could be the issue, however, bringing the scale back to 1 renders similar results. (No black patches using the single profile approach but black patches using the variable mix shapes)

I do not now how to solve this issue.  I've tried playing with the Build Shape Extrusion cross section values and the mix curve of the Variable mix shapes options without luck.

Does anybody have an idea of what could be the cause of the problem?

I am already capable of changing the road width at will using a single profile and the scale modifier. However I wanted to implement this approach in case I need to merge to different shape profiles.

PS: I notice an issue where the create mesh result those not update the materials coming from the build volume mesh even when the generator is set to auto refresh

Thanks in advance for your time.
All the best
Mario
Hi
It might be an issue with the Variable Mix Shapes code. Being right now on vacation in a remote country, I can`t work on this kind of issues for now. I will be back to work in a month. Use the variable scale for now, and write to me again if you a really suck.
Sorry about the bug
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Hi,
I am back from vacation. Can you please send me a reproduction case?
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Hi,
I could reproduce the issue, no need for you to send me anything. I will keep you updated once the issue fixed
Hi,
I am back with news. This problem is more difficult than what I originally thought.
The mixing between shapes is done via interpolation. The way this interpolation works does not guarantee that an interpolation between two rectangles (with hard edges) is also a rectangle with hard edges. It is visible when the two source rectangles don't have the same proportions (Length/Width ratio). I haven't found yet a solution that would work for all combinations of shapes with hard edges. I have a hack though, but its really hacky. If you want it I can send it to you. But if using the variable scaling is working for you, I would advise you to use that instead.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want to improve the performance of Variable Mix Shapes yanke 7 8 07-27-2023, 09:15 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Animating a shape on along a spline will not playback in scene or game views sam_bond 3 9 05-03-2023, 11:41 AM
  Rotation issue with generator nicolaj.h.andersen@gmail.com 1 14 04-14-2023, 11:58 AM
  Inaccuracies with offseted Shape Extrusions MichaelMenzi 6 15 12-14-2022, 10:22 AM