Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One generator for multiple paths
I am creating a road network using many different paths. I am using a generator to create the road, but if I want to change the generator, I would like it to affect all road paths. Right now I have to have a separate generator for each road path. Is there a way to have multiple paths input to a single generator?

Thanks!
Yes, you can put all the generators into one. Here is the easiest way to do it:
- for all your generators, except one:
* open the generator window
* right click on an empty spot
* select all
* click on the save icon top right of the tool bar to save you selected modules as a template
- close the generator window then reopen it (to refresh the list of templates)
- open your last generator
- right click, and select "Add Template", and then add all your templates
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Hi, thanks for your answer. I don't think that's achieving what i'm intending to do, so i'd like to explain a different way.

Please see attachment. Right now I can only input one spline path. Since I have many spline paths, I would like to input multiple without having to have a new generator and without having to duplicate the nodes in the graph editor. The problem with having a new generator is if I want to change a setting in the graph editor, i need to do it in every graph or I need to re-paste in all my templates. I also don't want to be managing separate generator gameobjects for every new road path I make ideally.

If this isn't possible, I may make an editor script that automatically updates generators from a single master generator or something. Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi,

(08-05-2018, 12:44 AM)justinms66 Wrote: The problem with having a new generator is if I want to change a setting in the graph editor, i need to do it in every graph or I need to re-paste in all my templates. I also don't want to be managing separate generator gameobjects for every new road path I make ideally.

We agree, there should be only one generator, it's easier to work with.
When I spoke about pasting templates, it was only to reach the point where all your graphs are merged in one, and not as a way to propagate your changes.
So once you have the modules that generates all your roads in one graph, there is indeed no way in current Curvy to link multiple Input Spline Path modules with the same Shape Extrusion module.

So your options are:
- Use a script like you suggested to modify all the modules of the same type on a graph.
- If you are willing to use some experimental code, I have a version of Volume Mesh module that takes mutliple volumes. You will still have to have a Shape Extrusion module per road. If this interests you, let me know and I will send it to you.
- Use one Curvy Generator object per road, make a prefab from that object, instantiate the prefab for each new road, and use Unity's prefab features to make all the roads use the same parameters.

Does this help?
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
This helps a lot, thanks! Since I would still need to have a shape extrusion module per road for your experimental code, i'd rather go with one of the other options, but I appreciate the offer. You make a good point about prefabs. If I write a script i'll post it here in case it's useful to others. Thanks!
You are welcome, and thank you for considering sharing the script you might write.
(08-04-2018, 11:14 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Yes, you can put all the generators into one. Here is the easiest way to do it:
- for all your generators, except one:
 *  open the generator window
 *  right click on an empty spot
 *  select all
 *  click on the save icon top right of the tool bar to save you selected modules as a template
- close the generator window then reopen it (to refresh the list of templates)
- open your last generator
- right click, and select "Add Template", and then add all your templates

Hello,

I have a generator I'd like to simplify.  Is there a way that I can select specific nodes to turn into a template and if so, which node or nodes would you recommend I use?
The Volume Spots all have the same content inside, they're scattering the list of game objects in the Input Game Objects node.

Kind regards,

Horibe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi,
First of all, using templates will not simplify the graph, but will make it easier to build. Templates are just saved sub-graphs that you can past at will. In the end, whether you create each module by hand or via templates, the resultant graph is the same.
There is already a Template called Spot GameObjects that contains modules you will need.
To create your own templates, select the modules you want, and click on the floppy disk icon on the toolbar. To past a template, right click on the graph and go to the Add Template submenu.
(05-28-2019, 01:18 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi,
First of all, using templates will not simplify the graph, but will make it easier to build. Templates are just saved sub-graphs that you can past at will. In the end, whether you create each module by hand or via templates, the resultant graph is the same.
There is already a Template called Spot GameObjects that contains modules you will need.
Thank you for this! Only having to edit the template once is still very very helpful.

(05-28-2019, 01:18 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: To create your own templates, select the modules you want, and click on the floppy disk icon on the toolbar. To past a template, right click on the graph and go to the Add Template submenu.
Figured out how to select multiple things. Kept holding shift. Oops.

I'm having trouble deleting a bugged template, sent a bug report.
(05-29-2019, 02:50 AM)Horibe Wrote: I'm having trouble deleting a bugged template, sent a bug report.

For future reference, user created templates are located at Assets\Packages\Curvy Customization\Generator Templates

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Extending Curvy Generator for Advanced Lofting - Feasibility Check amutp 2 4 Yesterday, 07:25 AM
Last Post: amutp
  8.8.0 is live, and it improves Curvy Generator greatly _Aka_ 0 5 Yesterday, 03:23 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Generating GO only on CPs in Generator GameDeveloperek4123 1 6 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM
  Distance travelled across multiple splines jh092 1 7 02-23-2024, 09:44 AM