Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutorial Request
Hello!  Congrats on taking over Curvy.

I have a humble request from a guy who really enjoy this product.  I've had a hard time working the node based generators.  I follow the tutorials a bit on the train tracks, but honestly I'm doing something much simpler, and I couldn't seem to get it to work.  I'm making a 'running' game where your path is predetermined by Curvy.  I just want to lay some stepping stones along the path.  I was thinking maybe you could use this as an opportunity to make a new training video!  The good thing about it is it is likely VERY basic (whereas I find the train tracks to be more intermediate).

So here's what I'm hoping for:  draw a flat, but curvy path.  Then have a mesh drop on the 'floor' of that path (so a constant distance below the path, assume that the path is raycast placed).  Have that mesh drop every 3 or 4 unity units.  Make sure the asset curves along the path, but keeps orientated upwards.

That's it!  Sounds pretty simple.  I've spent hours trying to figure it out though.  The best I could do was have it plop THOUSANDS of the stepping stones, and with wild tangential orientations.

Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks for the congratulations Smile

There are indeed some subjects that are not covered in the tutorials and that deserve one, and I would like to make such tutorials. But for now, there are more important issues to tackle, so no new tutorial in the coming few months.
But don't worry, I will help you make the task you described. I attached to this post a scene doing what I understood from your request. It will probably need modifications to do exactly what you want, but I hope it will give you a good base for your work.

Also, in case you or any other reader weren't aware about it, know that:
  * There are simpler CG graphs in the provided example scenes, like in scenes 21, 22 and 23 for
  * Each CG (Curvy Generator) module has a documentation you can access either by clicking the ? symbol at the top right of the module, or directly on the website: https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/start
  * If you press CTRL while drag and dropping a link from a module's output to an empty space, a list will show up listing all the modules you can attach that specific output to.
  * Some Module parameters have tooltips on them giving additional information

Let me know if you need anything else

Attached Files
.zip   mythstified - placed obstacles.zip (Size: 20.35 KB / Downloads: 5)
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
I'll take a look and report back if it's helpful!

BTW: The CTRL tip is HUGE. Can I offer a suggestion? Ditch it lol. Make it so that if you drop the arrow on an empty area, it'll automatically load that menu. That's how Unreal Blueprints works and it's more intuitive.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will need to try the workflow with your suggestion, and if seems good and coherent, I will add it in a future version
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Also another interface tweak would be that you can drag around the graph by just left clicking then dragging in an open area. Right now the default is box select. Box select should be CTRL+Draw a box

And the nodes.. dark grey with dark green text? Lol. Simple tweak, but it's very hard to read. Maybe BOLD BLACK text, with bright coloured headers. Use different colours for different categories of node (Build nodes GREEN, Create nodes YELLOW, etc, or whatever colour I'm just making things up here)

(03-01-2018, 03:37 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi,

Thanks for the congratulations Smile

There are indeed some subjects that are not covered in the tutorials and that deserve one, and I would like to make such tutorials. But for now, there are more important issues to tackle, so no new tutorial in the coming few months.
But don't worry, I will help you make the task you described. I attached to this post a scene doing what I understood from your request. It will probably need modifications to do exactly what you want, but I hope it will give you a good base for your work.

Also, in case you or any other reader weren't aware about it, know that:
  * There are simpler CG graphs in the provided example scenes, like in scenes 21, 22 and 23 for
  * Each CG (Curvy Generator) module has a documentation you can access either by clicking the ? symbol at the top right of the module, or directly on the website: https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/start
  * If you press CTRL while drag and dropping a link from a module's output to an empty space, a list will show up listing all the modules you can attach that specific output to.
  * Some Module parameters have tooltips on them giving additional information

Let me know if you need anything else

So I'm applying basically the same nodes as you did to one of my splines but the Vol Spots shows 0

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

About your CG graph's suggestions, I agree with you, there are things that can be improved in the UI. It is in the backlog, but my priority in the near future is on optimizations and bug fixes.

About your spots issue, you have probably not listed any item in your group. You can see how it is done in the example scene I send you, or in the picture below:

Did it work?
I never in a million years would have thought of that extra step. It makes sense when I think about it, it's cool.. allows me to have multiple objects be plopped either in sequence or randomly. That's awesome! And yes, it's working now. Thanks so much!
(03-01-2018, 03:28 AM)mythstified Wrote: Hello!  Congrats on taking over Curvy.

I have a humble request from a guy who really enjoy this product.  I've had a hard time working the node based generators.  I follow the tutorials a bit on the train tracks, but honestly I'm doing something much simpler, and I couldn't seem to get it to work.  I'm making a 'running' game where your path is predetermined by Curvy.  I just want to lay some stepping stones along the path.  I was thinking maybe you could use this as an opportunity to make a new training video!  The good thing about it is it is likely VERY basic (whereas I find the train tracks to be more intermediate).

So here's what I'm hoping for:  draw a flat, but curvy path.  Then have a mesh drop on the 'floor' of that path (so a constant distance below the path, assume that the path is raycast placed).  Have that mesh drop every 3 or 4 unity units.  Make sure the asset curves along the path, but keeps orientated upwards.

That's it!  Sounds pretty simple.  I've spent hours trying to figure it out though.  The best I could do was have it plop THOUSANDS of the stepping stones, and with wild tangential orientations.

Thanks!

I made this tutorial. It put rocks on in space, instead of on the floor, but the logic is the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUrpY9-8xH4
I hope this helps

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New tutorial available: Controllers _Aka_ 0 5 06-01-2023, 06:30 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Feature Request-move UI elements in SceneView spawnstorm 5 20 09-17-2022, 12:37 PM
Information Connections tutorial available _Aka_ 0 958 05-22-2020, 01:46 PM
  Feedback on tutorial vids mgstauff 2 3,828 04-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: mgstauff