Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using scripting to generate meshes over time
Hi again,

I've managed to solve the previous problem by using an object with a spline controller and a custom script attached where the custom script gets the current spline and talks to its generator to make it appear at the relative position of the controller. With a custom selector logic I can now send this object anywhere on my network and make it "build" the roads. Your suggestions solved further few issues and I can now confidently say that we're happy with the system enough to proceed to the end with it.

Which brings me to some new questions if I may;

As we are creating a city, and every road segment is a separate spline (so every intersection adds 2-8 splines and many connections), we're ending up with a LOT of "create mesh" modules, either in a single massive generator or in 100s of small generators. Is there a way of combining (adding together into a single output) the splines, the volumes or the meshes in the generator graph, or somewhere else, so we can manage these 100s of splines in a single generator with a single create mesh output for example?

(as a further example; wanting to edit the output layer turns into a 1000~ click operation in either of our cases, and adding new road segments to the system is much more difficult than it could be if we had a "combine splines" module we could place before the shape extrusion. This would reduce the number of modules in our generator by about %85 while keeping the result exactly the same)

Please let me know if I'm missing anything in this thought process and how we might solve the scaling issue.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using scripting to generate meshes over time - by croner1907 - 02-10-2022, 02:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cant Generate Meshes At Runtime alms94 5 22 01-26-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Disable rebuild of meshes in dynamic mode Zilk1 1 8 10-04-2023, 09:50 AM
  Combining two separate meshes ava_ava 2 7 07-26-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: ava_ava
  How to generate mesh on spline at runtime? _RicO 8 17 07-19-2023, 08:55 AM