Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MeshBuilder Feature roadmap
I was looking to see if there is a feature roadmap for the next generation of the MeshBuilder
I'm doing a lot of work with procedural generation of content using the existing MeshBuilder and there a number of features that don't exist yet that I'm going to end up needing.

I was curious what features are planned so I can work my development around that so I don't build anything that is already planned on being solved, as well as where I can focus on developing additional generation features for things that are not being planned for.

ps. I realize you're not around much right now so whenever you have time to get back to me.
Also, Congratulations!
Hi,

besides the new main feature "Make it solid and working with custom Meshes" I'm open for requests. So don't hesitate to bring in your ideas.

More ideas so far:

* Callbacks to allow the user to manipulate mesh data while being generated (e.g. to change UVs)
* More UV mapping modes (especially a mode to bend across curvation, e.g. to map a road without distortions)

Jake
(11-14-2013, 02:23 PM)Jake Wrote: Hi,

besides the new main feature "Make it solid and working with custom Meshes" I'm open for requests. So don't hesitate to bring in your ideas.

More ideas so far:

* Callbacks to allow the user to manipulate mesh data while being generated (e.g. to change UVs)
* More UV mapping modes (especially a mode to bend across curvation, e.g. to map a road without distortions)

Jake

These first ones aren't really mesh builder features, so much as spline features.
Are you still planning on constructing the surface snapping features? For me this would be a huge help.
Along the lines of surface snapping, having a way to snap a control point to an arbitrary f on a spline would be helpful, using the same kind of sync options available for ControlPoint to ControlPoint connections.

Then also being able to do a Relative position sync pos/rot would be helpful for building more complex shapes.

As for the mesh builder script I could probably list features I'd like to have indefinitely, so these are just a few that really come to mind for me.

Another thing that'd be nice is adding onto the way hollow works.
Right now you're using a percentage which works, however It would be nice to be able to specify either the interior diameter or width/height, or the thickness of the mesh.

Also allowing all the shape data that is on the SplinePathMeshBuilder to be handled per control point. That way instead of having a base width/height and then scaling it, you could directly specify width/height values.

Another useful thing that could be done is setting up a mesh builder so that you can take 1 spline, and extrude it along another spline.

a rotational Lathe tool, this one I think might actually be fairly simple to do.

I'll probably work on a lot of these myself, and would be willing to collaborate and test/debug them.

I've attached the last functioning version of my TwoSplineMeshBuilder, it's not commented, and its feature incomplete.
The script needs the ability to specify start and end points, per spline, for the mesh generation.
This present a potential problem with either very dense vertices on one spline, or needing to figure out how to determine if vertices need to be condensed, then how to update the triangle list generation.
The script also needs the ability to figure out the correct winding order. Currently if the splines are not in the right positions in the component, then the mesh will be inverted until the splines are moved so that they have opposite positions.
I haven't invested time into figuring out the winding order issue yet, I've been focusing on trying to implement the start and end points (the code I've done for that hasn't been attached)

The callbacks might be a big help in solving a few of these issues for me, such as building my own surface snapping system with mesh deformation (to prevent mesh intersection and visual artifacts)

I could really go on and on, if you ever want more ideas, just let me know.

Attached Files
.cs   TwoSplineMeshBuilder.cs (Size: 4.54 KB / Downloads: 11)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feature Request-move UI elements in SceneView spawnstorm 5 20 09-17-2022, 12:37 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Idea for caps? (feature suggestion) hawken 1 3,076 03-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Feature request: SplineController.Position as inspector property syscrusher 4 7,974 01-19-2018, 06:00 AM
Last Post: syscrusher
  Create MeshBuilder and Detach in one step? puzzlekings 6 10,096 01-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Last Post: puzzlekings