Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CurvyConnections inside prefabs
Hello,

First, thanks for the plugin, it's really good at what it does, simple to use, and easily editable.
Now, to the core of the issue...

I am trying to spawn sets of splines using prefabs.
I noticed that CurvyConnections are always contained within the CurvyGlobalManager.
My issue is that I do not have access to it in prefab mode.
This means that any CurvyConnection I create while inside my prefab will be lost the second I exit it.

Is there any way to make this work?

Thanks in advance!
Connections are stored in objects children to the _CurvyGlobal_ gameObject. That gameObject is automatically created by some Curvy scripts, and stores data shared between various scripts, like pools. So to store connections in a prefab, you need to have in the same prefab both your splines and the _CurvyGlobal_. The issue with that is that, supposing that you want to instantiate the prefab twice, you will end up with two _CurvyGlobal_ objects, and that's bad. Curvy, when detecting that multiple _CurvyGlobal_ objects are on the same scene, will merge them into only one. That process means deleting the other _CurvyGlobal_ objects. The problem with recent Unity versions is that scripts can't delete objets in prefabs without a user input. So you will end up having error messages like "InvalidOperationException: Destroying a GameObject inside a Prefab instance is not allowed". You will then have to manually get rid of all the _CurvyGlobal_objects except one.

What I described here is far from perfect, I agree. I will work at some point on getting connections out of _CurvyGlobal_ to solve this issue. It is on my todo list.

Is my solution ok for you as a workaround?
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Happy to hear that's on the todo list.

Problem is, I am unable to place a CurvyGlobalManager onto a gameobject inside my prefab, it simply deletes itself instantly.
Or maybe it becomes HideInHierarchy? I'm not too sure.

Thanks
Keep in mind that only one CurvyGlobalManager is allowed in a scene. So if you are trying to add a second one it will get deleted.
I attached a prefab that contains 2 connected splines. Use it in an empty scene to see how it is made.

Attached Files
.zip   Root.zip (Size: 2.69 KB / Downloads: 2)
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Yes, I understand that only one is allowed in a scene.
I was talking about adding one directly into a prefab.

Seems like your gameobject has one inside, I just can't see it unless I put the prefab in a scene.
I suppose it has to do with HideInHierarchy.

I do understand what you're getting at about deleting the manager from prefabs in scene mode though, the errors make sense.

Would be sweet to see a version independent from the global manager down the line.
For now I decided to make my own hooks inside the Add and Remove methods in Connection.

That way I can create my connections when the game starts (From metadata I saved with my hooks), since the ones I use are always the same.
(06-12-2020, 08:31 AM)CoolUser Wrote: Seems like your gameobject has one inside, I just can't see it unless I put the prefab in a scene.
You are indeed right. Wasn't aware of that

(06-12-2020, 08:31 AM)CoolUser Wrote: I suppose it has to do with HideInHierarchy.
I doubt that, but I have to investigate to be sure

(06-12-2020, 08:31 AM)CoolUser Wrote: Would sweet to see a version independent from the global manager down the line.
I hope not too far in the future
Thank you for your help!
You are welcome

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Issues when working with in-place prefabs Sacryn 4 6 02-27-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Custom CurvySplineSegment prefabs Lupos 1 10 10-02-2023, 09:36 AM
  Using Prefabs with transformations reset to original state when using Deform mesh danne_lindwall 3 6 04-28-2023, 01:35 PM
Photo How to check if a point is inside of a polygon? XtroTheArctic 1 8 03-20-2023, 08:53 AM