Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A "Can this asset do this?" thread
Hello, I'm in need of something that Curvy does but there are some things I wonder about.

First I want to have objects spawn from a pool to a certain point on the spline and move along the spline from this point. I also need to be able move the control points of the spline, thus I can't have premade splines since the players actions determines the shape of the curve. Can this be done at runtime?
Hi,

I like the title of the thread Smile

1. Curvy Splines comes with various pools classes that you can configure through the inspector or API, but you will need to use the API to get objects from the pools
  2. To make an object follow a spline, use a Spline Controller. You can control it via the API if needed
  3. You can modify the spline at runtime, and the objects following it will move accordingly
Please let me know if you have any other questions
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Wow that was fast. Can you control spawning from the pool through the Playmaker actions (or most features rather)?
There are Playmaker actions for some most used features of Curvy. You can find them in Playmaker's ecosystem. Just search for "Curvy".
The are unfortunately no Playmaker actions for all Curvy's features, and pools are one of those features with no actions.

If your goal is to spawn those objects from a pool without having to code, you can go through the Curvy Generator, one of Curvy's feature.
https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/start
You can use some of the Curvy Generator modules to spawn objects along a spline, and it internally handles the pooling. Those are the said modules:
https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/creategameobject
https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/volumespots
Once you buy Curvy, you will have access to example scenes using those modules. It will be easier to understand things with examples under your hand.

If you can't code, you can definitely do a lot of things with Curvy, but you will need some coding knowledge to be able to use Curvy if you go outside of the basic common use cases. Your use case might need coding knowledge, depending on how you want to move your objects
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
My programming is almost nonexistent but I have a some grasp of it theoretically so I can use Playmaker without much trouble.

What I want to do is fairly simple.

I have only one scene. I want to have one spline. On it I want to spawn prefabs in one end and have them move to the other end and despawn. Which prefabs I want to spawn depends on a lot of things like the stage etc. I need to be able to spawn multiple of the same prefab and in variable order at a custom interval with variable transform and have them move at a variable speed. And this should be able too loop indefinitely until I want to move on to the next part.

Also while this is happening I need to be able to move the control points, but if they have a transform component it would be really easy to do without any custom Playmaker actions.

That's it pretty much. Hope I don't sound too demanding. Big Grin
The minimum coding knowledge I think you should have to do what you need:
  • Unity's main methods: Start, Update, GetComponent, ....
  • How to see the public members of Curvy's classes and read their documentation
  • PrefabPool class: mainly Push and Pop methods
  • SplineController class: mainly Position, Play and Stop
  • CurvySpline class: mainly ControlPointsList and Refresh
The more you will want to do complex things using Curvy, the more you will need to learn coding. Curvy definitely allows you to do a lot just through inspectors, but its real potential is reached with the usage of API. So, except if you only want to do basic things with Curvy, I would strongly recommend you to make sure you have the will and time to improve your coding skills (understanding the scripts used in the example scenes is a good start) before buying Curvy.
If you are in doubt, you can still buy Curvy and if it doesn't fit your needs I will refund you.
Oh don't worry, I would never ask for a refund just because I can't figure shit out. I just wanted to know what's possible and if I can just copy and paste from examples to do basic stuff I don't see why I should not be able to make it. Thanks.

One final question, I just realized I can use Curvy to create complex enemy movement and formations. So I would assume it's possible to have splines inside moving prefabs or even have splines follow other splines?
(12-22-2019, 02:59 PM)Lupp_ Wrote: Oh don't worry, I would never ask for a refund just because I can't figure shit out
When you work as an asset publisher, you get to see some very unreasonable clients Big Grin

(12-22-2019, 02:59 PM)Lupp_ Wrote: I just wanted to know what's possible and if I can just copy and paste from examples to do basic stuff I don't see why I should not be able to make it
The example scenes don't use pools (except the pools automatically used by the Curvy Generator modules) because the example scenes aim at presenting features rather than focusing on performance. So you will not find an example of the usage of pools you need to do in the example scripts. I can help you on this point if needed.

(12-22-2019, 02:59 PM)Lupp_ Wrote: One final question, I just realized I can use Curvy to create complex enemy movement and formations. So I would assume it's possible to have splines inside moving prefabs or even have splines follow other splines?
This is possible
Hi again. I have read through about controllers and there are some things that confuse me. You said that I should use the pool that comes with Curvy, but I have already have a pool system setup and I saw nothing in the documents that that wouldn't work. Just attach the controller script and it should work once the objects are spawned right? Does the controllers parent matter?

I also checked a bit about generators. Is it possible to export the finished mesh as a 3d object?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General questions about this asset for a sim game jamesunity 6 3,022 08-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Asset is taking VERY to import! AsarD 7 9,076 08-31-2018, 11:47 AM
Information New free asset: Frame Rate Booster _Aka_ 0 3,257 08-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Information New free asset: Comment To Tooltip _Aka_ 0 2,672 08-21-2018, 11:40 AM