Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug in Spline makes unity freeze
Hi,

A couple of times I have noticed a freeze when working with Spline Path Mesh builder.

I thought it was just a variable overflow, so I got the habit of just switching of the Mesh Build when adjusting the spline.

But then some splines just appears to not want to have the Mesh Builder on them without causing the freeze/crash.

So, in order to test, I kept the Mesh Build inactive, and made a new - and I think this shows that there is a bug in the spline.

See the attached screen dump - it's taken when Unity crashes, and the long line should follow the spline, as it is a re-build of another mesh build that makes Unity crash.

[Arh - the forum will not let me upload images.. imagine a long curly spline, 44 points, with a straight mesh build from 0 to 1 - not following, but skipping in one step]
(08-15-2013, 09:00 PM)FritsLyn Wrote: Hi,

A couple of times I have noticed a freeze when working with Spline Path Mesh builder.

I thought it was just a variable overflow, so I got the habit of just switching of the Mesh Build when adjusting the spline.

But then some splines just appears to not want to have the Mesh Builder on them without causing the freeze/crash.

So, in order to test, I kept the Mesh Build inactive, and made a new - and I think this shows that there is a bug in the spline.

See the attached screen dump - it's taken when Unity crashes, and the long line should follow the spline, as it is a re-build of another mesh build that makes Unity crash.

[Arh - the forum will not let me upload images.. imagine a long curly spline, 44 points, with a straight mesh build from 0 to 1 - not following, but skipping in one step]
Interesting, I've never noticed something like this. Do you mind giving me an package containing the error?
I'd be happy to send you a package if I encounter this again.

* What exactly should the package contain? (My entire game project is very large)
* Where should I send it to?

Cheers.
(08-16-2013, 08:48 AM)FritsLyn Wrote: I'd be happy to send you a package if I encounter this again.

* What exactly should the package contain? (My entire game project is very large)
* Where should I send it to?

Cheers.

If you are able to reproduce this, a small package containing just the reproducing scene would be sufficient (without Curvy), you should be able to attach it to a post. Alternatively you can send it to jake<at>fluffyunderware.com.
(08-17-2013, 08:25 AM)Jake Wrote: If you are able to reproduce this, a small package containing just the reproducing scene would be sufficient (without Curvy), you should be able to attach it to a post. Alternatively you can send it to jake<at>fluffyunderware.com.

Thanks - I know that for future reference.

I no longer have the project setup, but I think it's related to what I also wrote on the Unity forum: When data amount is high, freezing occurs when applying mesh like in your fantastic racetrack video. 50 points and playing around surely causes crashes on my MacBook pro, 8GB memory (which of Unity only appears to take about 1 of when trouble starts)

In the gray area - maybe 20-30 points, strange things happens - like the described.

Cheers Smile
(08-19-2013, 02:22 PM)FritsLyn Wrote: In the gray area - maybe 20-30 points, strange things happens - like the described.

I've never seen this problem on my dev box, but I won't forget to test with very huge splines when rewritting the mesh builder.
(08-19-2013, 06:07 PM)Jake Wrote: I've never seen this problem on my dev box, but I won't forget to test with very huge splines when rewritting the mesh builder.

REWRITING? Insane, you must like it I guess Big Grin

Mostly I write this because when I wrote the other reply, I saw the "Attachments" button in this forum (Was looking for it in the RTE before, doh) - and I still had that screenshot on my desktop, so here it is attached Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-19-2013, 06:11 PM)'FritsLyn' Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 06:07 PM)'Jake' Wrote: I've never seen this problem on my dev box, but I won't forget to test with very huge splines when rewritting the mesh builder.

REWRITING? Insane, you must like it I guess Big Grin

Mostly I write this because when I wrote the other reply, I saw the "Attachments" button in this forum (Was looking for it in the RTE before, doh) - and I still had that screenshot on my desktop, so here it is attached Big Grin

Hi, I'm popping this thread up again, since I have the same issue, and it's quite frustrating, the game is almost done, and all I need is this fix.
Thanks Smile
Hi,

could you please provide an example scene or at least your settings (Spline Inspector + MeshBuilder Inspector). Also, does the error occur in the editor or at runtime (running in the editor and/or standalone) ?
(01-10-2014, 07:54 AM)'Jake' Wrote: Hi,

could you please provide an example scene or at least your settings (Spline Inspector + MeshBuilder Inspector). Also, does the error occur in the editor or at runtime (running in the editor and/or standalone) ?

Yea man, I've just recently finished to create my app, I just noted to the audience that it might crash on creating too much nodes (20-30).

You can check it here:
http://tinyurl.com/myr97ms

It's not in my intention to advertise my app, but this is how you can check the issues, go to one of the advanced levels and attempt to draw as near as you can and fast, many dots..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 13 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM
  Using Unity's SplineContainer in Curvy Splines dlees9191 3 14 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
  Keeping a fixed spline length jh092 3 16 02-21-2024, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Primrose44