Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asset is taking VERY to import!
While importing the asset from the store, the Asset Progress bar gets stuck at all the Materials/.png files while importing assets. (Project is running on a 2017 top tier Macbook Pro.)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi,
On what Unity version you did the import?
Does it work if you remove the folder "Curvy Examples" and reimport again?
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(08-30-2018, 10:14 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi,

Tried on both Unity 2017.4.1f1 (64-bit) and 2018.2.5f1 (64-bit). Tried on both Windows10 and MacOS - same issue.
Haven't tried importing while removing the 'Curvy Examples' folder so far, hoping that the import would finish for the past hour.

(08-30-2018, 10:14 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi,

After removing the 'Curvy Examples' folder before re-importing - it successfully re-imported in less than a minute. What could be the issue with 'Curvy Examples'?
We need to refer the example scenes to learn/study the asset. Please help.
Hi,
Curvy as a whole (examples included) usually gets imported successfully on all the platforms you mentioned. I don't see right now what might cause your issue, but we will go through this step by step until finding the cause.
Now that you have imported Curvy without the examples, try importing Curvy Examples subfolder by subfolder, until finding the subfolder that makes the import progress bar stop. Then reiterate the same process with the guilty subfolder (reimporting parts of it one by one) until narrowing down what asset(s) blocks the import process.
When importing only parts of the Curvy Examples folder, you will probably have warnings and errors on the console (because of missing materials or scripts), just ignore those, what's important for us is whether the progress bar finishes or not.
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(08-30-2018, 11:11 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi,
Curvy as a whole (examples included) usually gets imported successfully on all the platforms you mentioned. I don't see right now what might cause your issue, but we will go through this step by step until finding the cause.
Now that you have imported Curvy without the examples, try importing Curvy Examples subfolder by subfolder, until finding the subfolder that makes the import progress bar stop. Then reiterate the same process with the guilty subfolder (reimporting parts of it one by one) until narrowing down what asset(s) blocks the import process.
When importing only parts of the Curvy Examples folder, you will probably have warnings and errors on the console (because of missing materials or scripts), just ignore those, what's important for us is whether the progress bar finishes or not.

On it. Keep you updated.

Step 1: Animations, Scenes and Scripts from 'Curvy Examples' imported in less than 15 seconds. 
Moving onto the _Resources next.

Step 2: Materials, Prefabs, Shaders, Skyboxes and Textures imported in 1 minute. 
Moving onto the Objects sub-folder next, under _Resources.

and it's stuck on the file /rail_bridge.png and other .png files in Objects sub-folder. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I don't know why Unity fails importing those PNGs. Please open a ticket at Unity about this.
Until they answer you, try replacing those pngs with ones that you know are imported correctly by Unity.
Also, if you have any news, please add a new post instead of editing the existing one, this way I get a notification about your thread.
(08-30-2018, 01:58 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: I don't know why Unity fails importing those PNGs. Please open a ticket at Unity about this.
Until they answer you, try replacing those pngs with ones that you know are imported correctly by Unity.
Also, if you have any news, please add a new post instead of editing the existing one, this way I get a notification about your thread.

Okay, meanwhile let's take the finer discussion over PM. Will post back here and on the new thread once I hear back from Unity.
Here is the conclusion: The Unity's texture importing code that targets Android seems to be very slow with big textures. So a simple solution is to make Unity resize the textures. To do this:
1- Using another platform than Android, go to the project window
2- search for "t:texture". This will find all the project's textures
3- select them all and at the bottom of the inspector, set the Max size to a small value, 256 for example
4- switch project to Android
The whole import process took me under 1 minute with these parameters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Import/Export, Spline from code Mos Def 4 783 02-14-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  General questions about this asset for a sim game jamesunity 6 3,022 08-01-2020, 04:53 PM
  A "Can this asset do this?" thread Lupp_ 14 8,530 12-26-2019, 11:30 AM
  Import splines from GeoJson Qpid36 4 4,084 11-22-2019, 03:45 PM