Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2D Docking to a moving target, (landing direction matters!)
I'm wondering how to start going about coding logic for my aircraft to "dock" on a moving target, where the dock vector is fixed to that target's transform.

I'd like to see flight paths based like in the following pic. 

[Image: TIAP7YD.png]

I guess the first step would be to imagine if that dock was fixed, and then tackle the moving target part? But I'm not sure where to begin, trying to find examples online. Doesn't need to be spline related, but I was thinking Curvy might help somehow?
I guess I would first try to the problem in two:
* the predefined part: having the landing animation being defined by one or multiple splines (for variation) attached to the dock
* the dynamic part: having the ship reaching the beginning of the predefined part, with the right velocity vector, o avoid the feeling of the ship changing drastically velocity direction when starting to follow the spline.
The first point is simple, the second's complexity depends on what kind of movements are possible for your ships. It would be easier with strafing ships for example.
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moving object down or up the spline using gravity velikizlivuk 6 17 07-26-2023, 10:06 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  how to make fast moving controller go all the way to linear points?(curvy8) hawken 7 12 06-06-2023, 09:47 AM
  How to get direction of last control point? _RicO 4 23 04-13-2023, 11:27 AM
  Obstacle Moving Along the spline Chanon 1 7 06-13-2022, 04:13 PM