Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connection Questions
Just a small piece of feedback, it wasn't immediately obvious how I should set up a connection between two points, and the UI for the FollowUp/Head To documentation leaves a little to be desired in understanding how it all works.

I understand that if I sync position/rotation between the connections, it will ensure all connections share such data. 

What I don't understand is what the FollowUp node does -- can you try to explain a few use cases why I'd want the FollowUp node to point the start or end of a spline? Could you describe what happens when the option is set to auto, or not set at all?

Finally, what's the benefit of not specifying a followup node for a connection?

(Thanks! Pretty impressed with everything so far.)
Any chance I could get a reply on this?
(10-24-2016, 02:58 PM)mcarriere Wrote: Any chance I could get a reply on this?
Sure!

In general, Connections are independent from curves math, i.e. they aren't used to determine curvation. If you use Catmull or TCB interpolation, a segment's curvation is not only defined by the two CPs forming the segment, but from 4 CPs instead. Now, defining a FollowUp direction gives the curve segment the information which CPs to use in it's formula.

Example: Say you have a big "T" formed by two splines. You have a single connection where the | meets the top line (- of the T). If you set no FollowUp, you'll get a hard edge, if you set one you'll get the | either bend to the left or the right, depending on direction.

Does that make sense?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
Thumbs Up Can't delete connection lacota 3 6 03-16-2024, 11:34 AM
Lightbulb Junction & Connection Navigation System Design SAMYTHEBIGJUICY 4 13 11-27-2023, 01:04 PM
  Connection "next' control point jh092 3 15 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM