Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aligning objects along a banking path
I was testing curvy with a roller coaster design. I have support beams along the curve. The beams look fine when the roller coaster tracksĀ are horizontal with each other, but when I have the rails banking I can't figure out how I can get the support beams to align with the rails.

I have attached an image showing the issue. The horizontal support could be aligned by changing the volume spot rotation from horizontal to full, but I'm not sure what to do about the two vertical support beams.

I couldn't find anything in the examples or on this forum when trying to attempt something like this. What would be the best way to handle this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Where's the difference between the support beams and the wooden planks?
The vertical support beams have rotation mode set to "horizontal" in the volume spots panel. The wooden planks have the rotation mode set to "full". Is there a way to have objects set to horizontal rotation, but have their height align with the tilted spline at their offset?

Here is another attachment with the horizontal beam turned off. The vertical beam on the left needs its height set a little lower while the beam on the right needs its height set a little higher.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hm, guess you'll need to divide the support beam from it's poles and add a custom module. Place the beam like the planks, then use the generated Spots to feed a custom module.

That module takes the spots as input and outputs a set of new spots that you feed to CreateMesh, thus creating the poles. The input spots provide all the neccessary information (position and rotation) that you need to calculate the starting position of the poles (project from center along rotation axis with 1/2 track width). For each input spot you'll calculate two output spots then.
(01-06-2016, 06:57 PM)Jake Wrote: Hm, guess you'll need to divide the support beam from it's poles and add a custom module. Place the beam like the planks, then use the generated Spots to feed a custom module.

That module takes the spots as input and outputs a set of new spots that you feed to CreateMesh, thus creating the poles. The input spots provide all the neccessary information (position and rotation) that you need to calculate the starting position of the poles (project from center along rotation axis with 1/2 track width). For each input spot you'll calculate two output spots then.

Thanks for the information. I'm still new at using curvy and hadn't thought about chaining modules in such a way. That makes sense and I will give that a try.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Line Renderer between two objects on a spline travellinggamedev 1 7 01-13-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Removing the objects behind an object alms94 6 6 12-06-2023, 09:31 PM
  Disable Generator Rasterized Objects SAMYTHEBIGJUICY 3 5 09-01-2023, 03:38 PM
Wink Train carriage with 2 bogies following a path arcadeperfect 9 27 08-25-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: arcadeperfect