Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curvy in Unreal Engine
Just out of interest does Curvy splines exist for unreal and if not are there any plans to ever release it there?

(Im considering switching engine)
Hi
No, it does not exist. I have no plans to port the asset to the Unreal Engine. Might change in the future, but no plans for now.
Out of curiosity, what made you consider switching engine?
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(02-01-2024, 09:33 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi
No, it does not exist. I have no plans to port the asset to the Unreal Engine. Might change in the future, but no plans for now.
Out of curiosity, what made you consider switching engine?

Fair. I suppose I'm only really just considering it at the moment. Curvy's capabilities are central to my project so without a really robust spline solution I probably won't be able to do it anytime soon. But I think it's time I started to at least look into it.

Few reasons for this -

From the regular conversations I have with some more experienced game devs who work in both, they constantly tell me to not be restricted by engine and the perspective you gain is invaluable in at least trying to learn a bit of both. The Unity saga last year proved its also not prudent to put your eggs in one basket with engines. And if Unity fell off a cliff or again made a business decision that impacted your survivability then you need to be agile enough to respond. There are multiple people from the vegetation engine discord who switched in the middle of 2023 and have said it was a great decision for them despite their initial apprehension.

More personally I have an issue in that the state of GPU instancing tools for vegetation in Unity is absolutely dire and each of them have their own significant issues that I wont get into here. Others and I dont have a lot of hope for Unity 6 and the GPU resident drawer either - anyone who has tried 2023 will know it's far off LTS given its current crash rate so it might be at least another year before we get a stable version with a reliable GPU solution.

More topically we have a really quite fascinating case study for this discussion - Palworld. To try and digest its success, it's steam's second biggest launch ever. Palworld takes about 1.5% of its entire marketplace of users. What's really interesting about it though is the biggest change the team made between Craftopia and Palworld.

Engine.

The game's core, direction and even some assets are identical - Palworld is in essence the realised envision of Craftopia at it's current state. Facilitated by the right engine. But yeah the team split resources between three games some barely even knew how to Dev and switched "Paltopia" to Unreal from Unity.
also things like this coming out today: https://twitter.com/gekido/status/1753107847230152820
- apparently the entire URP team just quit unity.
Makes sense.
Porting Curvy Splines to other engines is absolutely not a trivial task. I see its cost being significantly bigger than its benefit for now. I might change my opinion in the future, but for now this is what I think.
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 3 6 04-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  8.8.0 is live, and it improves Curvy Generator greatly _Aka_ 1 10 04-03-2024, 03:16 PM
  snap to the curve created by the curvy splines segment points ShiroeYamamoto 3 11 04-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Exclamation Extending Curvy Generator for Advanced Lofting - Feasibility Check amutp 2 5 03-27-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: amutp