Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best practice for controllers slowing down/speeding up along the spline
Hello all!

I'm trying to build a race circuit viewed from the top, with cars (as dots) moving along the path, like this:

[Image: MNzqBpo.png]

To be somewhat credible, I don't want the cars to have uniform speed, as they should slow down at the entry of a turn, and speed up at the exit. I just need something simple however.

What would be the best way to achieve that? I was thinking maybe setting up multiple "slowdown" / "speedup" events along the path? In that case, could I pass along something like an AnimatedCurve as a parameter, to better control the change of speed, or am I limited to bool/float/string?

Thank you, cheers!
Hi
I see few ways of doing it:
  1. The one you suggested, using custom events: These events are implemented using regular Unity. I can't try it for now yo be sure (I am on vacation), but try making a public method that takes an AnimationCurve, and see if the event can call it)
  2. Automatic speed variation based on the tangent variation: Change the speed of the controller based on the curvature of the track. You can compute it by computing the delta between the spline tangent at a specific point vs at a point slightly before.
  3. Using MetaData. Scene 01_MetaData shows how a controller has a height variation using meta data. You can do something similar to modify the speed.
    I hope this helped. Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 3 6 04-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Get position of all control points for a spline gekido 1 6 03-28-2024, 10:08 PM
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 14 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM