Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volume Spots not even when "drawing" spline too fast at runtime.
Hello again.

I ran into an issue in my app using Volume Spots in the generator. 

I currently "draw" my spline at runtime with my mouse. As I draw it adds the volume spots gameobjects. But if I draw too fast, it either skips some or doesn't get an "even" distribution. I have a "Space After" setting of 0.2 in the "Group" tab of Volume Spots.

In the Curvy Spline component, I tried changing the "Update In" to all options, and it doesn't seem to fix the issue.

Any recommendations or ideas what the issue can be?

Here's a gif of what happens: example

And here's my generator map if it helps (I set the spline at runtime, that's why it's missing there):

Generator
Hi
I am not sure of what causes the issue. Try setting Optimize to false in the Path tab of the Shape Extrusion module. Did it fix the issue.
If not, can you send me a screenshot of the created spline in the scene view?

PS: FYI, you don't need the Shape Extrusion module to generate the objects, you can replace it with a Rasterize Path module, much simpler.
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
The Optimize to false didn't fix it, unfortunately.  I tried using the Rasterize Path module instead and the issue persists, but the whole spline "jitters" a bit as I draw now. So I reverted back to extrusion. (I included a screenshot so you can see if I did it right)

Here are some screenshots of my spline.  I have my Max Points per Unity set to 35, as I need to have it smooth. I add control points once a certain distance is reached, and change the rotation of said control point to match the surface under it. 
For example: if ((pointerPosition - lastControlPointPosition).magnitude > 3) {.... Add control point and rotate control point (lastControlPoint.transform.rotation = xxx)   } 

https://imgur.com/a/ZDMJvnq
I don't see what can explain this behavior. To further investigate, I will need a reproduction case. Please copy the drawn spline in Play Mode and past it in the scene in Edit mode, then send me the scene fully setup. I will then be able to debug exactly why there are those empty spaces.
Thanks
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(07-28-2023, 10:27 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: I don't see what can explain this behavior. To further investigate, I will need a reproduction case. Please copy the drawn spline in Play Mode and past it in the scene in Edit mode, then send me the scene fully setup. I will then be able to debug exactly why there are those empty spaces.
Thanks

I did a simple test project duplicating what I'm doing (but simpler), and the issue seems to not happen. Which means there's something unusual I'm doing that's causing it in my main project probably.

When I copy it from Playmode to to Edit mode, it seems to refresh/recalculate the volume spots because it makes it all even then.
Maybe it is related to pooling? If you selected your generator, you will see in its inspector a Prefab Pool component. Pooling is used only in play mode, which might explain why the issue does not appear in edit mode. Does toying with that pool change anything in the issue?
(07-28-2023, 08:44 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Maybe it is related to pooling? If you selected your generator, you will see in its inspector a Prefab Pool component. Pooling is used only in play mode, which might explain why the issue does not appear in edit mode. Does toying with that pool change anything in the issue?

Hi. Sorry, I was gone on vacation for a week.

I did try playing around with the Pooling options, but it doesn't make any difference with the issue, unfortunately.

One thing I did notice, looking at the spline info in the editor, is that as soon as I move one of the control points every so slightly, the Relative Distance (RD) points near that control point moves and re-aligns all the volume spots near there correctly and evenly.  So it seems to be the RD points that get "condensed" and cause the volume spot issues.

Here's two screen shots (https://imgur.com/a/2yg4jpR): One with the issue, and one right after I very slightly moved control point near "RD: 0.4" in the picture. I didn't move the any control points near the other end of the spline that is affected, just so you know. (Note: if you open each image in their own tab, you can see more clearly the difference by going from one tab to the other.)
Hi
Don't be sorry. I hope you enjoyed your vacation.
I can't figure out what the issue is based on your description. I will need a reproduction case to understand what is going on.
Have you tried using other spline types, and other resolution values, on the spline itself and the Shape Extrusion/Rasterize Path modules?
(08-10-2023, 12:46 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi
Don't be sorry. I hope you enjoyed your vacation.
I can't figure out what the issue is based on your description. I will need a reproduction case to understand what is going on.
Have you tried using other spline types, and other resolution values, on the spline itself and the Shape Extrusion/Rasterize Path modules?

I tried playing with the settings you suggested, and no luck.  At this point Ill have to try and recreate a minimilist version of our project that mimics every step as much as possible. Then maybe I can send it to you to take a look at? (If I don't find the issue along the way)
Ok

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Set Volume to the Volume Controller at Runtime pako88 2 10 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 3 6 04-04-2024, 12:56 PM
  Get position of all control points for a spline gekido 1 6 03-28-2024, 10:08 PM
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM