Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D Platformer Rail Grind
Hi, I can't seem to find an example scene or post that goes through this specifically but I would like to use Curvy Splines for a free-roam 3D platformer rail grind. In games like Fortnite or Sunset Overdrive the player can roam freely around and jump on/off rails placed around the world. Would you be able to add an example scene or perhaps give a short breakdown of the steps to get a similar result?
Hi

There is no such scene for now.
One way I would implement the free-roam rail is by having two controllers for the player, one regular 3d platformer controller, and a Spline Controller. Then have a logic that switches between the two under certain conditions (player distance from the nearest rail is less than a threshold, button press, ...)
To deactivate the Spline Controlller, just disable the component the regular way (enabled = false).

You may want to have both aspects of movement in the same controller, by coding a custom controller using Curvy Splines' API to get the relevant data from the splnes.

If you are interested, I am available for contract work to implement such solutions.

I hope this helped.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Distorted rail lines when copy-pasting generator KennUnity3D 2 10 10-10-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: KennUnity3D
  Is curvyspline a good solution for a 2D rail grinding game? bazz_boyy1 2 8 03-01-2022, 11:49 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Mapping of huge rail tracks(80miles) hu_man 10 7,315 09-18-2019, 07:04 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
Question Curvy 2.5D Platformer - Detaching from Spline when Jumping Yog-Shoggoth 2 8,362 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Yog-Shoggoth