Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spline Gizmos & Segments Invisible while Drawing
(03-31-2023, 11:07 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: That's very unfortunate. Can you please comment on the ticket stating that the issue is still there in 21.3.22f1? Also, if you can report a Unity bug, that would help a lot. If you do, I highly recommend that you attach a reproduction case not containing Curvy Splines. You can, like the previous ticket, reproduce the issue with a Unity component, such as the box collider.
Thanks

I went to reproduce the issue without Curvy but I'm getting different behavior, at least with the box collider.  Actually, the box collider is working the same from what I can tell between 2021.3.19f1 and 22f1.  Here's what I'm seeing:

* Add a 3D cube to the scene and turn off the Mesh Renderer.
   > The box collider shows when the object is selected in the hierarchy.
   > Create a parent object and put the 3D cube in it.  The box collider shows when the parent object or the 3D cube is selected in the hierarchy.
   > The box collider doesn't show when a different object is selected or no object is selected in the hierarchy.

That seems like normal behavior to me.

* For Curvy, I get the following behavior in 2021.3.22f1:
   > Create a spline by drawing points.  The spline is visible during drawing of the control points or if you select any control point in the spline.
   > If you select the object containing the spline, the spline is not displayed.
   > Create a parent object and put spline object in it.  The spline does not show when the parent object or the spline object is selected.
   > The spline is shown when a different object is selected (including any other object contained in the parent object) or no object is selected in the hierarchy.

So I'm not able at this point to produce a test case with a straight Unity object with it's related gizmos.  Blush  So I haven't updated the Unity issue at this point.  Any thoughts?
Hi
I did some tests, and it seems that the Unity regression that I opened a bug for was indeed fixed in 2021.3.22f1. But as you stated, there is still an issue (a seemingly different one) with splines drawing. This is due either to a bug in my code or some other issue/regression in Unity. I will take a deeper look into this once I finish releasing the Curvy Splines update I am working on, probably next week. Will keep you updated.
Sorry that the issue is still present.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(04-03-2023, 05:02 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi
I did some tests, and it seems that the Unity regression that I opened a bug for was indeed fixed in 2021.3.22f1. But as you stated, there is still an issue (a seemingly different one) with splines drawing. This is due either to a bug in my code or some other issue/regression in Unity. I will take a deeper look into this once I finish releasing the Curvy Splines update I am working on, probably next week. Will keep you updated.
Sorry that the issue is still present.
Have a nice day

No worries, I understand. Smile  Thanks for you efforts, I appreciate it.  If there's anything I can do to help test potential fixes, let me know.  For now, 2021.3.19f1 is sufficient to go forward until it gets fixed up one way or another.  Good luck on the Curvy update!
Thanks
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Update: issue is fixed in the soon to be released 8.5.0.

Here is an explanation of what caused the issue:
Spline segments use Unity's OnDrawGizmos and OnDrawGizmosSelected to draw the gizmos. These methods are not called exclusively, meaning that a selected segment will have both methods called. As an optimization, I avoided drawing gizmo twice, by not drawing it in OnDrawGizmos if OnDrawGizmosSelected was going to be called. To do so, I had a code in OnDrawGizmos that predicts if OnDrawGizmosSelected is going to be called. That prediction code had different versions, since the rules of calling OnDrawGizmosSelected were different between main Unity versions. By main version I mean 20XX.Y, such as 2022.1 or 2020.3
Now even within the same main version, those rule change, as we witnessed with 2021.3.16 and 2021.3.22. There is as far as I know no way in the code to know which minor version the code is running on. And to be honest, even if there was, I would not bother, since any future minor version could break the code again. So I decided to unfortunately remove the optimization.
Thanks a lot for your patience
If and when you feel like it, please leave a review for the asset, that helps a lot
Have a great day.
Awesome!  Big Grin I look forward to the update.  Asset review happily added.  Smile  Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate it.
Thank you for the review and for having chosen Curvy Splines in the first place Smile
A fix for this is now available in version 8.5.0. Thanks for your patience.
(04-10-2023, 01:32 PM)joliebrousseau Wrote: It's possible that the visibility settings are set to only show when the parent object containing the spline is selected.
Thanks for your suggestions. I am not aware of such setting, can you tell me more about it?
(04-10-2023, 10:15 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: A fix for this is now available in version 8.5.0. Thanks for your patience.

Indeed, fix confirmed in 2021.3.22f1.  Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 1 1 Yesterday, 10:12 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Get position of all control points for a spline gekido 1 2 Yesterday, 10:08 PM
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 13 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM