Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
variable width and branching from main track for racing
Thumbs Up 
Hi ToolBuddy,
Thank you for receiving my message and for creating such an amazing tool.
i am considering to use it for game development of a racing game and I have some question after going thoroughly through your posted tutorials documentation and forum posts.
I will need to have the track pass lets say from several lanes width to a more narrow one lets say from 4 to 2 lanes, would that be possible somehow without an extra part that bridges it?
and also the track will have one direction and one branch would be expected to come out of it and re join further ahead, with the intention of a shortcut more or less, can I do that with curvy ? I ve seen the post where there is a boolean method suggested but i still feel that the result won t be approved in terms of uv and shape outcome.
Please share any thoughts you may have or any workaround u can suggest as I still would like to recommend the tool, the mesh extrusion method and ease of creation is amazing.
Thanks again for your time

Best regards

Smile
Hi

Thank you for the compliment.

(08-04-2022, 02:34 PM)AdAstra Wrote: I will need to have the track pass lets say from several lanes width to a more narrow one lets say from 4 to 2 lanes, would that be possible somehow without an extra part that bridges it?
Sorry, but there is for now nothing in Curvy Generator that will merge automatically the lanes. So you will need the extra part, or in some simple scenarios (which I believe is not your case) just overlap the lanes meshes as they are merging. This is how the rail intersections are handled in the rail track example scenes.

(08-04-2022, 02:34 PM)AdAstra Wrote: and also the track will have one direction and one branch would be expected to come out of it and re join further ahead, with the intention of a shortcut more or less, can I do that with curvy ? I ve seen the post where there is a boolean method suggested but i still feel that the result won t be approved in terms of uv and shape outcome.
Unfortunately, same as above.

Make sure to read your private messages, I will send you shortly something there that might help you.

Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Also, from reading the title, I see that you ask about variable width too. I didn't understand that from you post.
So about variable width, yes you can vary the width of the extruded shapes. This can be done for example via the Scale tab in the Shape Extrusion module:
https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/shapeextrusion#scale
I hope this helped
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Hi thank you for your reply and info.
and about the extra part is there any way to attach it easier with curvy rather than place it manually, rather than the positioning I am concern about the attachment of lets say road width 10 to part, and part to road width 6.
thanks again for your input.
Hi
Using the API you could automate the placement (position and orientation) of the extra parts: you can get the position and orientation of the first or last point of each spline, and knowing the dimensions of the extra part, move it (and the splines if needed) accordingly so that they all fit together.
The main useful methods would be:
CurvySpline.Interpolate
CurvySpline.GetTangent
Did I answer your question?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want to improve the performance of Variable Mix Shapes yanke 7 8 07-27-2023, 09:15 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Racing AI around Spline Spectra 1 20 01-30-2022, 01:36 PM
  Variable mesh extrusion offset per segment CrushedPixel 1 13 12-23-2021, 10:40 AM
  Variable Mix Shape Interpolation Not Spanning Entire Input Spine Diasporism 4 1,205 04-20-2021, 06:54 PM