Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constrain to X and Y only
I'm trying to set up a user controlled game object where they follow the spline but have control to move either direction on the spline and in the Z direction. Basically just use the spline as a path they are constrained to but otherwise can control the gameobject. None of the examples I liked at jumped out as a good starting point.

Also, I'm a long time user and was disappointed to see it had been depreciated. I'm looking to checking out the update. Thanks.
Hi

There is right now no way to constraint the position/rotation of the controller. This is a feature that can be useful, so I will try to implement it at some point in the future. Give me some days, and I will write you again about what to expect and when.
The constraints feature is now available in update 8.3.0

About the depreciation, Curvy Splines is not deprecated, it is actively maintained. It having the deprecated status is a work around Unity store's restrictions. Let me explain to you:

Curvy Splines exists for nearly a decade now. Unfortunately, on such a long time scale, it is becoming financially more and more difficult to maintain a good level of maintenance/development, and supporting the ever growing users base, based only on the income from the initial payment that can date from years ago. A better solution would be periodical subscription or paid updates: that means that you buy the asset, it is yours forever, but if you want all the latest updates, you will have to periodically pay for them. I think it is a sound solution. Let me know if you think otherwise.

The Unity asset store does not support subscription models or paid updates (at least not for the most assets publishers), so I had to use the best possible way to mimic such functionalities, and that way involved creating a new asset (wich I named Curvy Splines 8), and deprecating the existing one (which I named Curvy Splines 7). By using the "major upgrade" mechanism of the asset store, I was able to link both assets such as: recent owners of Curvy 7 could get Curvy 8 for free, and older ones could get it with a big discount. Thus the deprecated status of the Curvy you own.

I hope this made things clearer. Feel free to share you opinion about anything I said.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(05-06-2022, 01:02 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi

There is right now no way to constraint the position/rotation of the controller. This is a feature that can be useful, so I will try to implement it at some point in the future. Give me some days, and I will write you again about what to expect and when.

About the depreciation, Curvy Splines is not deprecated, it is actively maintained. It having the deprecated status is a work around Unity store's restrictions. Let me explain to you:

Curvy Splines exists for nearly a decade now. Unfortunately, on such a long time scale, it is becoming financially more and more difficult to maintain a good level of maintenance/development, and supporting the ever growing users base, based only on the income from the initial payment that can date from years ago. A better solution would be periodical subscription or paid updates: that means that you buy the asset, it is yours forever, but if you want all the latest updates, you will have to periodically pay for them. I think it is a sound solution. Let me know if you think otherwise.

The Unity asset store does not support subscription models or paid updates (at least not for the most assets publishers), so I had to use the best possible way to mimic such functionalities, and that way involved creating a new asset (wich I named Curvy Splines 8), and deprecating the existing one (which I named Curvy Splines 7). By using the "major upgrade" mechanism of the asset store, I was able to link both assets such as: recent owners of Curvy 7 could get Curvy 8 for free, and older ones could get it with a big discount. Thus the deprecated status of the Curvy you own.

I hope this made things clearer. Feel free to share you opinion about anything I said.
Have a nice day

Thank you for your reply! That added functionally would be great. I'm working on '2D side scrolling' game but don't want to be limited to just going left and right. I want to be able to take advantage of a 3D environment, I think that would create some interesting gameplay. I initially started with a basic spline tutorial. All I would need is the Z component of the position and tangent at that point. But I'm not controlling the gameobject based on the position on the spline, I'm applying forces, things got complicated. Full implementation would be nice, but I could even work with a few lines of code and take it from there in the meantime. Please let me know. Thank you for your time and support!

I do understand the need to charge for updates. I was disappointed because I initially thought it was being discontinued. I happily upgraded. Thanks again.
Hi
I send you something that might help you. Please check your private messages.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(05-07-2022, 12:24 PM)Bryan Thatcher Wrote: Thank you for your reply! That added functionally would be great. I'm working on '2D side scrolling' game but don't want to be limited to just going left and right. I want to be able to take advantage of a 3D environment, I think that would create some interesting gameplay. I initially started with a basic spline tutorial. All I would need is the Z component of the position and tangent at that point. But I'm not controlling the gameobject based on the position on the spline, I'm applying forces, things got complicated. Full implementation would be nice, but I could even work with a few lines of code and take it from there in the meantime. Please let me know. Thank you for your time and support!

Hi
This feature is now available in version 8.3.0.
Have a nice day