Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mesh Deformation vs Mesh extrusion
Hi
I have recently bought Curvy for the new mesh deformation capability but I can't seem to be able to control the scale of this mesh using a curve. However, when I use the mesh extrusion feature then this does have the ability to control the scale of the mesh and also has a curve editor that can be used? I am I missing something that is obvious to other more experienced users or is this capability missing or not working? 

I tried to perform this in the barbed wire example but all I managed to do was scale just one of the meshes by a uniform and not by a gradual in and out.

I did see another post to do with control point scales which is how other spline system appear to work but the thread suggested I write some extra code to read the metadata? I am not a programmer so I am not really sure about what I should do if I even understood if the issue posted was the same as my question.

Is this something that will be added in a future update?

Sorry to be a pain. 

Thank you
Hi

Mesh deformation does not have the same scaling features as the shape extrusion. You can scale the input mesh (https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/inputmesh#trs) or a group of objects (https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/volumespots?#scale) but these scaling are not variable along the spline similarly to the shape extrusion module.

Can you send me an example of what you are trying to achieve, I might be able to implement a quick solution for you. That solution can then be, if it makes sense and after being implemented properly, be part of a future update.

And no, you are not a pain at all. Your questions are very legitimate.

Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(02-26-2022, 12:52 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi

Mesh deformation does not have the same scaling features as the shape extrusion. You can scale the input mesh (https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/inputmesh#trs) or a group of objects (https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/generator/modules/volumespots?#scale) but these scaling are not variable along the spline similarly to the shape extrusion module.

Can you send me an example of what you are trying to achieve, I might be able to implement a quick solution for you. That solution can then be, if it makes sense and after being implemented properly, be part of a future update.

And no, you are not a pain at all. Your questions are very legitimate.

Have a nice day

Thanks you Aka for responding so quickly.

I have attached a three screen shots of an example mesh and then the same mesh is repeated 3 times along a spline and then the final image is the scaling at one of the spline control points.  I am using a product called Dreamteck Splines to show you this but overall the Dreamteck product has not been able to provide me with the spline system I need and Curvy 8 has already delivered where Dreamteck has sadly failed.  This additional mesh manipulation is a nice to have feature for quickly creating mesh deformations with varying widths and heights without the need to use a 3d package.

In the first screen - cave.jpg   I have a very simple, low poly mesh that has already had its vertices moved to make it have a more rocky look and feel. The mesh has been made so that all the vertices at the end line up so that it can be tiled/repeated endlessly.

In the second screen - SplineMesh.jpg  I have used the Dreamteck spline mesh extrusion feature to repeat the mesh 3 times along a simple 4 control point spline. I could have repeated the mesh more times but it would become visually squashed so 3 was a good choice for this example.

In the third screen - MeshDeformation.jpg I have used the scale gizmo on point 2 to stretch the mesh on the Z,Y axis.  the X axis appears to be naturally constrained by the repetition value of 3.

I hope this makes some sense? Like I said this is a quality of life issue as I don't need to edit the meshs again in a 3D program to get the desire layout, I simply just bake the mesh when I am happy it looks good.

I am very happy with my purchase of Curvy and wish I had chosen Curvy first but sadly I was somewhat mislead by the potential of the Dreamteck spline system which became a dead end and my project had to stop.  I am hoping to start this project up again but with Curvy and I am really excited and happy to be speaking with you.

Smile

Dan.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi
Thanks for the illustrations. Everything is clear.
I will, by next week if everything goes alright, try to implement a very rudimentary implementation of the feature, meaning it should give the expected result, but the ease of use, quality of code, performance, ... will be under the quality found in the features you can find in Curvy Splines. A proper implementation will take more time, and I am not planning on starting working on it in the near future.
Will keep you updated once I have a working version
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(02-28-2022, 04:05 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi
Thanks for the illustrations. Everything is clear.
I will, by next week if everything goes alright, try to implement a very rudimentary implementation of the feature, meaning it should give the expected result, but the ease of use, quality of code, performance, ... will be under the quality found in the features you can find in Curvy Splines. A proper implementation will take more time, and I am not planning on starting working on it in the near future.
Will keep you updated once I have a working version

Wow! Understood about quality, Thank you very much.

Dan
Hi again
I modified the Deform Mesh module to take into account CP's scale. The modification makes the mesh deformation significantly slower than the original performance. Please bear with it until the feature is officially developed and released.
I will PM you the modification
Have a nice day
Understood and appreciated. Thank you very much.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjust radius of generated mesh via script? Shackman 1 3 03-26-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Not seeing mesh extended after following YT PaulM 1 3 02-02-2024, 12:01 PM
  Trigger Zones along Spline Mesh dlees9191 1 5 01-05-2024, 10:18 AM
  Get spline from generated mesh beartrox 1 5 11-27-2023, 12:30 PM