Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Circle shape spline normals are not straight ?
Hello, I just got the asset !

I realised that the basic circle shape you can choose when using a generator has angled normals, which is quite problematic in my use case, because I need to displace the mesh vertices according to straight normals. Is there any reason for that, and/or any solution ?

Thanks a lot !

Vincent.

EDIT : Here's an image to make things more clear. As you can see, the normals are not pointing towards the circle center.

[Image: ice-screenshot-20210501-000806.png]
Hi
I believe this is due to how the normals and tangents are computed in Curvy: instead of implementing a tangent and normal formula for each one of the spline types supported by Curvy, a single method is used for all of the spline types which is based on the spline points' position (interpolation) formula. Unfortunately, the downside of this method is that, when building a normals cache (what is displayed in your screenshot), its precision depends on the cache density.
I am intending to eventually change the tangent/normal computing code to have a more precise, per spline type code, but until then, you can avoid this issue by increasing the cache density.
I hope this help
Please let me know if I can help further
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(05-01-2021, 08:17 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi
I believe this is due to how the normals and tangents are computed in Curvy: instead of implementing a tangent and normal formula for each one of the spline types supported by Curvy, a single method is used for all of the spline types which is based on the spline points' position (interpolation) formula. Unfortunately, the downside of this method is that, when building a normals cache (what is displayed in your screenshot), its precision depends on the cache density.
I am intending to eventually change the tangent/normal computing code to have a more precise, per spline type code, but until then, you can avoid this issue by increasing the cache density.
I hope this help
Please let me know if I can help further
Have a nice day

Hello, thanks a lot for the quick response !

Increasing the cache density did help with the shape normals, but not with the final extruded mesh's normal. Hopefully you can help me, I'm trying adapt the workflow I had with an old spline system : I make a tube with the same radius along the whole spline, then I use shader vertex displacement to simply move vertices inside using their normal vector. With the old system, I could easily get all the vertices to retract to the same position, effectively making the whole mesh disappear. I could then easily grow it again by reexpanding the vertices to their base position. If that's not clear, here's a small video of the effect (the mesh tapering is entirely done inside the shader, the spline mesh is only a tube with a constant radius) : https://twitter.com/ABeginnersDevB1/stat...6751892483

When I try to do the same with th curvy's extrusion generator, I get two issues : the first one is that there is a bit of normal weirdness around the seam, and the second one is that, since the normals are not perfectly straight (even when increasing the shape density to a ridiculous amount), the vertices never reach the same center position. You can see both of these issues here :

https://imgur.com/a/Cxizkyn

Is there any way to do that with curvy ? I guess it might at least be done with mesh deformation rather than extrusion, but as far as I know curvy doesn't do that yet, and I like mesh extrusion better as it will have the right definition no matter how long the spline is... I hope I was clear and that you can help ! Thanks again for the asset Smile
Hi
A proper solution would be a fix that would work for all spline types. This is on my todo list, but I have some other tasks planned before that one. So what I am going to do is to provide you with a quick-fix that would work with Bezier splines only. I believe you are using a Bezier spline for your circle, right?
Do you have any deadline regarding this issue?
And sorry for the issue in the first place.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
And by the way, one of those tasks higher on the todo list is mesh deformation. It will be part of Curvy Splines 8.0.0
(05-02-2021, 07:46 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi
A proper solution would be a fix that would work for all spline types. This is on my todo list, but I have some other tasks planned before that one. So what I am going to do is to provide you with a quick-fix that would work with Bezier splines only. I believe you are using a Bezier spline for your circle, right?
Do you have any deadline regarding this issue?
And sorry for the issue in the first place.
Have a nice day

Thanks a lot ! I'm not sure it's bezier (I just took the default circle from the shape component), but if it's not I can easily change it. I don't have any short term deadline for it. But thank you, tha fix will really be appreciated.

Have a nice week-end
Hi
A small update: The cause is different than what I initially thought. The fix will take more time than initially thought, but hopefully the fix will be ready by end of this week.
Thanks for your patience, and have a nice day
Update: I send you a fix in a PM
(05-06-2021, 12:55 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Update: I send you a fix in a PM

Awesome ! Thank you Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 13 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM
  Keeping a fixed spline length jh092 3 16 02-21-2024, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Primrose44
  How could I get position in spline from "From" value in BuildRasterizedPath? Chanon 1 8 02-12-2024, 09:54 PM