Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to add a new point with a smooth curve?
Hello

Excuse my crude drawing, but essentially I want to add two points by code and have a trajectory like in the picture.

I'm using .Add() and changing their rotation afterwards but ofc this only gives me a straight line

[Image: trajectory.jpg]

So how would I go about doing this? anyone got a lead?

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi, you have to change the interpolation type of the spline to something else than linear
(03-19-2021, 07:13 PM)athos_k Wrote: Hello

Excuse my crude drawing, but essentially I want to add two points by code and have a trajectory like in the picture.

I'm using .Add() and changing their rotation afterwards but ofc this only gives me a straight line

Thanks

It depends on what your need to do, but often times setting a spline's interpolation mode to Bezier, then setting the Bezier handles of the control points gives the most flexible solution:
See CurvySplineSegment.HandlesIn and similar, and CurvySpline.Interpolation
In general, whatever you want to do via code, do it first via the editor, and see if you get the expected result. Rotating a control point via editor will not get the result you expect (or at least what I understand is your expectation)
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(03-21-2021, 07:00 PM)_Aka_ Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 07:13 PM)athos_k Wrote: Hello

Thanks

It depends on what your need to do, but often times setting a spline's interpolation mode to Bezier, then setting the Bezier handles of the control points gives the most flexible solution:
See CurvySplineSegment.HandlesIn and similar, and CurvySpline.Interpolation
In general, whatever you want to do via code, do it first via the editor, and see if you get the expected result. Rotating a control point via editor will not get the result you expect (or at least what I understand is your expectation)

What seems to get the result I want is by drawing a spline in the editor but I can't get any result other than linear using the .Add() method, the HandlesIn are a way to do this but I'm having a hard time calculating the correct values, so i'm wondering. Is there a way to access the Draw Spline methods at runtime?
The code used to draw spline from the editor uses the InsertAfter method, which is the same used in the Add.
If you want to check the editor spline drawing code, you will find it at TBDrawControlPoints.addCP (private method)
If you want to see an example of runtime drawing of splines, you can find one in the script used in example scene 51, InfiniteTrack.addTrackCP (private method)
Let me know if you managed to find what was wrong with your code using the Add() method
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  snap to the curve created by the curvy splines segment points ShiroeYamamoto 1 2 1 hour ago
Last Post: _Aka_
  Avoiding runtime GC allocations on control point position change Ell223 8 18 02-24-2024, 10:43 AM
  Connection "next' control point jh092 3 15 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
  Spline.Length not updated unless I add a point to spline (or modify it) first. _RicO 3 6 08-26-2023, 08:41 AM