Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2D Terrain Question
Hi,

I was wondering if Curvy would be suitable as a tool to generate 2D organic terrain?

For reference, this tool is purpose-built for generating 2D terrains https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/level-design/ferr2d-terrain-tool-11653#description

Curvy is more flexible and powerful than this tool, so if I can use Curvy for all my needs then it will be better.
Curvy can generate mesh used as a 2D terrain, and I am aware of some users using Curvy for that purpose, but it will not be as good as a 5 stars asset specifically made for 2D terrains.
So, if you want a non-specialized tool than can do 2D terrains too, then use Curvy, but if you want a tool that will make you the most efficient possible making 2D terrains, then use the other asset.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(12-31-2020, 05:13 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Curvy can generate mesh used as a 2D terrain, and I am aware of some users using Curvy for that purpose, but it will not be as good as a 5 stars asset specifically made for 2D terrains.
So, if you want a non-specialized tool than can do 2D terrains too, then use Curvy, but if you want a tool that will make you the most efficient possible making 2D terrains, then use the other asset.
Have a nice day

Hi_Aka_

That makes sense, thank you for the info.

I'm just really reluctant to use two different but similar tools if I don't have to, especially when Curvy is so much more powerful.

Having looked into this, I could take a different approach. My character models and other set geometry are full 3D, I was looking for an easy solution to build simple 2D terrain which will be decorated with 3D objects. The terrain will only appear in certain areas and is just dressing. But what I could do is just go full 3D with the terrain too and use Curvy, but this brings up a new question. I have created a small piece of terrain (2.5D) using a Curvy extruded shape along a path, but the end-caps are just flat, i.e. the terrain stops suddenly. Is there a way I can add a nice smoother end-cap, like rounded shapes?
I think the best is to start using Curvy for that purpose, and if you feel that it is stopping you from being efficient, then try the other one.

Just in case you missed it, there a Spline To Mesh tool in the toolbar which creates a mesh englobed by the spline. Since the terrain is just for dressing, maybe this tool will be enough for you. https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/toolbar#tools

For now there is no spherical caps. This is a feature other people asked for, so it is on my todo list. For now, you can place a sphere at the start and end of the spline, using a Spline controller for example.

Did I answer all your questions?
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(12-31-2020, 04:17 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: I think the best is to start using Curvy for that purpose, and if you feel that it is stopping you from being efficient, then try the other one.

Just in case you missed it, there a Spline To Mesh tool in the toolbar which creates a mesh englobed by the spline. Since the terrain is just for dressing, maybe this tool will be enough for you. https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/toolbar#tools

For now there is no spherical caps. This is a feature other people asked for, so it is on my todo list. For now, you can place a sphere at the start and end of the spline, using a Spline controller for example.

Did I answer all your questions?

Yes, that's great thank you for your time and help.
You are welcome. If and when you feel like it, please leave a review for the asset, that helps a lot.
Happy new year

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Question: Uniformly increase spacing between volume spots? SAMYTHEBIGJUICY 1 5 09-01-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  I have a question about curvySpline haifeng.huang 12 32 07-14-2023, 09:34 AM
  Question about generator Mos Def 7 1,807 04-10-2023, 10:20 PM
  Conform to terrain in play mode ? Philkrom 3 11 08-27-2022, 11:04 AM