Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Save shapes into project for reuse
Hi,

I've just started using Curvy in my project and have a question. I've created a shape that I'm using to extrude platforms out of for my game. I'm looking to reuse the shape in multiple levels so I thought I could just create a prefab of the shape and drag it into the generator to reuse it. However, when I do this I get errors that CP and materials are not available and the spline path becomes wonky.

I suppose my question is am I doing something wrong, or is there a better way fo doing this.
Hi,

Are you dragging the prefab directly from the Project window into the generator?
  • If this is the case, that's not a use case I ever considered, so no wonder if it doesn't work. I always assumed that people instantiate a prefab in their scene before using it. Is there any reason for you to not instantiate the prefab before using it?
  • If this is not the case, then can you please send me a reproduction case?
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(12-13-2020, 07:56 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi,

Are you dragging the prefab directly from the Project window into the generator?
  • If this is the case, that's not a use case I ever considered, so no wonder if it doesn't work. I always assumed that people instantiate a prefab in their scene before using it. Is there any reason for you to not instantiate the prefab before using it?
  • If this is not the case, then can you please send me a reproduction case?
Have a nice day

HI _Aka_,

OK, so it worked if I create an instance of the prefab and then drag it into the graph, thanks for the tip.

In regards to the reason for doing this, I have a lot of assets that use the prefab directly and some that use instances only, I guess this is a force of habit. I do find it a bit cleaner to use the prefab directly, plus some assets perform initialisation on anything you drag in so it is safer to assume that a direct use is the preferred option. I think the thing that threw me was that it allowed me to directly drag the prefab in and it added it to the scene with no errors.

Either way, it is working now so thank you. BTW, I'm loving this asset it has a bit of a learning curve but once you get passed that it opens up so many possibilities.
Ok, I see. Will try to make direct usage of the prefab work in the (distant) future.
Thanks for the review. Feel free to write me with suggestions to make Curvy Splines even better.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want to improve the performance of Variable Mix Shapes yanke 7 8 07-27-2023, 09:15 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Shapes points orientation itsGama 3 8 01-18-2023, 02:51 PM
  Input Spline Shapes from Prefabs destroys graph tairoark 5 7 11-24-2022, 05:08 PM
  Bug with an HDRP project that doesn't use the Standard shader Ferdinand 2 5 10-17-2022, 03:16 PM