Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera wobbles on too long spline (100km+)
Hey there,

I have a problem with an long spline and my camera, which i tried to drive along the spline. The geometrie and so on was fine along this spline (afterwards i switched it and dont need to clone it along the spline any longer, but the camera remains). I experienced that my camera starts to wiggle after 30km and wont stop wiggling at 60km+ and at 100km+ its unusable.

What i have done so far:
I created my spline in Cinema4D and cloned some placeholders along the spline (~1750 pieces for 120km), then i imported the placeholders into unity and replaced the placeholderobjects with an prefab of an "CP0000" from and previously created curvyspline. Then i put these ~1750 "CP0000" back into the SplineController, which renamed the "CP0000" acordingly and everything was fine. Like i said i could generate my track along this spline and it looked good, but when i drive my camera along the spline it begins to wobble at certain distances, even if the spline looks great.
Now i tried to position the the controlpoints nearer or further from the SplineController and moved it acordingly around the origin to counter an floating origin (thats why the "Object to move" script is attached from the WorldMover Asset. Unfortunally this did not help and even increasing the "Cache Density" from 50 to 100 and the "Max Points Per Unit" from 8 to 16, 32 and 64 did not help, it just caused a massive framedrop.

So now i think that the origin and cache density does not act like they should, because it seems the only thing that matters is where the spline did start, because in the beginning of the Spline at "CP0000" the camera drives perfectly smooth, but when i get ~60km away from this point it starts to wobble. Its still perfectly smooth in the splinebeginning, even when the origin and the SplineController are 100km away, but the end of the spline which is at  this moment at the origin of the world and the SplineController still wobbles.

Now you could think "just split the spline into 40km parts and everything is fine" that may be true, but i need only 1 spline for this track, because i need to get the absolut position of my camera on the track in realtime to teleport to the right kilometer and to know where iam.

I captured some seconds of the end of the track, where you can see the smooth spline on the left and the wobbly cam on the right.

PS: The script for this process to know where iam on the spline was presented from you in an older support thread and still works fine

Messages In This Thread
Camera wobbles on too long spline (100km+) - by Vectorvision - 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 13 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM
  Keeping a fixed spline length jh092 3 16 02-21-2024, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Primrose44
  How could I get position in spline from "From" value in BuildRasterizedPath? Chanon 1 8 02-12-2024, 09:54 PM