Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collision avoidance
Hello, I did a quick search and couldn’t find much info on this except 2 ~3 year old threads on this.

My question is, is it possible to predict collisions and stop them from happening across spline paths? This is the scenario: Say there could be 20 different paths orbiting around an object that might overlap each other at some points. Those 20 controllers would then run the risk of bumping into each other. They would also be of varying sizes. How can you predict collisions and then adjust the speed of an object to prevent said collision?( I imagine that would be the easiest way to avoid it)

The best idea I could come up with is by placing a train-like trigger boxes in front of every object to follow the same path of said object with the exact same parameters. When a collision is detected, the parameters of the original path and the trigger path would be adjusted in the same way and then restored to their original states.

Though that wouldn’t be too hard to implement since there’s an example of a train included, what I’m stuck on is how to determine by how much to slow down the object smoothly enough to avoid the collision, especially since controllers would have varying sozes, speeds, orientation, paths, everything.

Has anyone ever tried any collision avoidance between controllers on paths before? If so, how did you do it? Is there an easier way than the stuff I just posted above?

Messages In This Thread
Collision avoidance - by radu392 - 11-09-2018, 02:49 AM
RE: Collision avoidance - by _Aka_ - 11-09-2018, 10:44 AM
RE: Collision avoidance - by radu392 - 11-09-2018, 06:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Can't export custom collision meshes Mike Danielsson 5 10 10-14-2022, 10:36 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Local Avoidance with splines and colliders. ArachnidJacob 4 8,943 06-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Last Post: ArachnidJacob
  Collision along spline Keladinus 5 10,053 08-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Jake