Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving spline controller with parent game object
I've got a question about moving spline controllers attached to splines, which are in turn moved by a parent transform. The basic scene hierarchy is as follows:

-splineController

-parentGameObject
 |-splineA
 |-splineB
 |-splineC

Note, the splineController is not a descendant of the parentGameObject. The controller starts off on splineB, and splineB is connected to splineA and splineC at either end. If I move the parentGameObject, all the splines and the spline controller move as expected. So far, so good.

Now, if the connections at each end of splineB are deleted, making splineB isolated from the other two splines, yet still a child of parentGameObject, things stop working as expected. The controller now does not move when the parentGameObject's transform is moved, however, it does seem to move if the parentGameObject transform rotation is changed, but not position.

My ultimate application is essentially multiple floors with a set of elevators. Each floor has a series of splines as does each elevator platform. When an elevator arrives at a particular level, it is connected to the spline at that level. A controller can now be driven from the level onto the elevator platform. When a platform is moved it is disconnected from the static spline at the starting floor, and stays with the elevator platform(parent game object), until it arrives at some other floor, at which time it is reconnected to another spline and the controller can depart.

I'm currently using Curvy v2.1.3, however, there was no difference when upgrading to the latest version.

Messages In This Thread
Moving spline controller with parent game object - by jvalenzuela - 05-30-2018, 11:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Set Volume to the Volume Controller at Runtime pako88 2 10 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 3 6 04-04-2024, 12:56 PM
  Get position of all control points for a spline gekido 1 6 03-28-2024, 10:08 PM
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM