Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to expand/contract path?
I am making a futuristic space race track and want asteroids on either side of the race track.

This is what I have so far (I don't have a road 3d model yet so I am just using the Barbed Wire from the tutorial for testing):
[Image: jBWcmwj.png]

My problem is that the farther the control point is from the path's center, a wider gap is created. I want a consistent gap size, like the red lines in the screenshot as opposed to the green lines.

Currently I am doing this with TRS Path two times, one scales the path by 0.75 for the inner asteroid belt, and the other scales the path by 1.25 for the outer asteroid belt. This obviously works by percentage which is why there is a larger gap the farther it is from the center.

There does not seem to be a expand/contract path modifier which would have been nice.

What I mean by that is to push or pull the path outward or inward from its median center. In Blender, I can illustrate this with the Push/Pull command:

This is a simple scale, just like what TRS Path does:
[Image: 42oUrGB.gif]

And this is Blender's Push/Pull command, notice it tries to maintain the distance outward/inward, this is what I need:
[Image: XBGYu8e.gif]

The other way I was attempting this was to not use any TRS Path modifier but using the Translation properties in the Volume Spots node that are scattering the asteroids.

[Image: QDnU8Wz.png]

The big problem with it is it requires the asteroids to have non-randomized rotations, since translation can only work in either world or local space (would have been nice to be able to choose between local, world, or "curve" space, where +Z is pointing towards the spline tangent direction).

Any way to fix this?

Messages In This Thread
How to expand/contract path? - by Ferdinand - 09-15-2022, 08:18 PM
RE: How to expand/contract path? - by Ferdinand - 09-17-2022, 02:30 PM
RE: How to expand/contract path? - by _Aka_ - 09-17-2022, 07:42 PM
RE: How to expand/contract path? - by Ferdinand - 09-17-2022, 08:39 PM
RE: How to expand/contract path? - by _Aka_ - 10-11-2022, 11:16 AM
RE: How to expand/contract path? - by _Aka_ - 10-12-2022, 02:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Incorrect mesh alignment after extrusion on curved path Thinkurvy 10 19 04-17-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Rasterized Path Range issue proton 2 10 04-15-2024, 03:42 PM
Wink Train carriage with 2 bogies following a path arcadeperfect 9 27 08-25-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: arcadeperfect
  Generator does not exactly follow the path F.A.L. 3 4 04-24-2023, 03:49 PM