Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using scripting to generate meshes over time
Hi,

First post here, and I have to say your asset it brilliant. It is used for so many things in our game and it always perform exactly how we need it to.

My question is;

We're using splines and generators to generate train tracks in runtime. However, right now they are just turning on and popping into existence visually. We want to turn this into a gradual process, as if the rail track is appearing from start to end over time. We've done a few prototypes to test how this can be done best, but, none of our solutions feel good enough to us. So I wanted to ask what would you do in this case so we can get some new ideas we haven't thought of yet and keep prototyping.

Goal;
Make a train track (user cannot change the shape or location at all) appear from one edge of the terrain to the other, from start to end. The tracks however are composed of multiple splines and connections. I would also have to hide the area where the track is "currently" appearing.

What we've tried so far;

- Start with all CP's (and the track mesh) under the terrain, and slowly raise each CP up one by one, so the track kind of raises out of the ground. Possibly could put a spline controller to follow roughly the location of the transition from under the terrain to over it to mask the spot with a "rail constructing train car".
- Start with all CP's where they are supposed to be and increase the "range" on the path over time to make the mesh grow from start to end. Again, I could find a way to sync the exact spot the mesh is "appearing at" and a controller to mask the appearance, but I couldn't get this to work when going through connections etc. Only worked for a single spline and its own generator.

I'm more looking for ideas and direction as we're all amateur game devs and we might be missing easy solutions to our problems in our learning process.

Thanks a lot.

Messages In This Thread
Using scripting to generate meshes over time - by croner1907 - 01-28-2022, 10:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cant Generate Meshes At Runtime alms94 5 22 01-26-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Disable rebuild of meshes in dynamic mode Zilk1 1 8 10-04-2023, 09:50 AM
  Combining two separate meshes ava_ava 2 7 07-26-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: ava_ava
  How to generate mesh on spline at runtime? _RicO 8 17 07-19-2023, 08:55 AM