Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ScanConnections() causes heavy load in play mode, even with all Curvy objects removed
(07-23-2021, 12:28 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: 1- After digging in this subject, I see that ScanConnections  is not set to be executed every frame. It is supposed to execute only when the hierarchy changes. Does your hierarchy change every frame?

Yes, because we're loading and unloading assets dynamically (the level is large). Right now we're using SECTR_Stream, but it's just additively loading scenes and terrains. But at edit time, obviously we're only changing the hierarchy every time we click the mouse, so not quite every frame.

(07-23-2021, 12:28 PM)_Aka_ Wrote:
2- I tested with 20k cubes, and ScanConnections did not show any significant CPU usage. Maybe it is because your game objects are way more complex?

Yes, I'd say that's right. But our use case would be typical of a modern open-world game. We try to keep the hierarchy as flat as possible but still any kind of FindAll() is going to take several milliseconds.

(07-23-2021, 12:28 PM)_Aka_ Wrote:
3- Here is an optimization to ScanConnections:
replace
CurvyConnection[] o = GameObject.FindObjectsOfType<CurvyConnection>();
with
CurvyConnection[] o = CurvyGlobalManager.Instance.GetComponentsInChildren<CurvyConnection>();
Since I couldn't reproduce the issue, I wasn't able to test how efficient this optimization is, but it is theoretically efficient. Can you please apply it on your project and tell me what was the result? Thanks

Sure, we'll give it a try.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ScanConnections() causes heavy load in play mode, even with all Curvy objects removed - by bennett - 07-23-2021, 03:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 3 6 04-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  8.8.0 is live, and it improves Curvy Generator greatly _Aka_ 1 10 04-03-2024, 03:16 PM
  snap to the curve created by the curvy splines segment points ShiroeYamamoto 3 11 04-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Exclamation Extending Curvy Generator for Advanced Lofting - Feasibility Check amutp 2 4 03-27-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: amutp