Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generators placing referenced prefabs
Hello,

I know the generator creates instantiated prefabs but is there any way to configure Curvy to place properly referenced prefabs via the generator?

Cheers! Big Grin
Hi,
What is the difference between instantiated prefabs and properly referenced prefabs?
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(06-21-2019, 09:18 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi,
What is the difference between instantiated prefabs and properly referenced prefabs?

The biggest difference is that if the prefab link is valid then changes made to the prefab will instantly propagate to all the linked prefabs.

You can tell a prefab is linked properly if the icon in the hierarchy is blue.

Player is a properly linked prefab, Game Manager is not.
Now I understand you.
Unfortunately the Create GameObject module does not conserve the link with a prefab.
If this is easily implementable, I would send you a modified Curvy version with the modification in the upcoming days. If not, I will add the feature to the backlog, and implement it properly in an upcoming version. What version of Unity do you use?
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(06-21-2019, 01:46 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Now I understand you.
Unfortunately the Create GameObject module does not conserve the link with a prefab.
If this is easily implementable, I would send you a modified Curvy version with the modification in the upcoming days. If not, I will add the feature to the backlog, and implement it properly in an upcoming version. What version of Unity do you use?

Hello!

I am presently using Unity 2018.3.6f1 (64-bit)
That would be really amazing if there was a Create LinkedPrefab from prefabs feature!

I really use the link with the Prefab because after I use Curvy for initially placing objects such a trees, I occasionally need to hand-tune the locations of objects so I copy everything form the Create GameObject folder and paste them into a new empty then do my editing from there.

Kind regards,
Horibe
Hi,
Sorry for the delay. I couldn't work on this this week. I will work on it next week. Will keep you updated
Have a nice day
I made a modified version of the code that keeps the link with the prefab. I will PM it to you (the forum being public, I will not post parts of Curvy's source code here). Please keep in mind that the code I will send you is a quick fix made specifically for your usage. This means that it is not compatible with the old Unity's prefab system for example. The fix will be released in an update once it was made compatible with all Curvy users' needs and intensively tested.
Thanks for your patience and have a nice day

It works great for all the cases I've used it in.

Thank you so much!!! This is a great fix!
You are welcome Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Issues when working with in-place prefabs Sacryn 4 6 02-27-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Guide to custom placing stuff on spline Lupos 15 43 11-27-2023, 12:51 PM
  Custom CurvySplineSegment prefabs Lupos 1 10 10-02-2023, 09:36 AM
  Multiple Splines and Generators Performantly for Road System drock 1 6 07-17-2023, 10:31 AM