Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negative extrusion height.
Hi,

I'm aligning objects on the spline and having characters run on it which all works fine, but i'm also using the mesh builder to extrude the basic rectangle shape along the spline to make for a road. The problem is that the builder doesn't seem to support extruding the shape negatively along the up vectors, forcing me to give all the things i place on the spline a vertical offsets and making things a bit difficult especially if the extrusion is quite high.

I tried getting around this by using custom shapes, but i get the same bug as discussed in the thread below and the mesh ends up being broken. It doesn't seem a large change to me to allow negative extrusion , so is it possible we might see this in a future release?

Thanks!
Do you speak about a negative height of the rectangle shape?
(06-08-2014, 07:31 PM)'Jake' Wrote: Do you speak about a negative height of the rectangle shape?

Yes, i mean the rectangle shape, but I guess i worded myself a bit poorly. =) I want to extrude only negatively, so that the shape will remain "under" the spline and wont intersect with my runner and my aligned objects. Now, as you must know it's extruded to both up and down sides of the spline.

This change would be a huge help! =)

This will be possible with the new system. Until that you could have a look into the MeshHelper.CreateRectangle() method. It provides the shape used in the extrusion and ranges between -0.5 and 0.5 (that got multiplied with the width/height parameter in the extrusion). Just alter the vertices y value to range from -1 to 0 (or lower if you want more offset).
(06-09-2014, 06:11 PM)'Jake' Wrote: This will be possible with the new system. Until that you could have a look into the MeshHelper.CreateRectangle() method. It provides the shape used in the extrusion and ranges between -0.5 and 0.5 (that got multiplied with the width/height parameter in the extrusion). Just alter the vertices y value to range from -1 to 0 (or lower if you want more offset).

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm using Playmaker though so i don't think i'm really profficient enough to edit the scripts themselves. I can use the "line" shape for now so it's not that terrible, but can you maybe tease any date for this new system? Sounds really cool =)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Incorrect mesh alignment after extrusion on curved path Thinkurvy 10 19 04-17-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
  Fading in/out extrusion mesh of a spline? _RicO 3 5 07-25-2023, 09:40 PM
  Efficiently chopping up a build extrusion? blabz2007 2 9 08-05-2022, 10:43 AM
  Connection extrusion briceio 1 13 08-04-2022, 12:36 PM