Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spline path "Range" option: how to go from end to start CP?
Question 
[Image: rBHQTNp.png]

Hi,

I'm wondering how to use the Spline Path "Range" option so that it links the last node to the first.

As you can see in the image above, I'm currently using the range CP6 to CP7, but what I really want is CP6 to CP0 so that it reaches the start again. If I try to drag and drop CP0, it doesnt work as the indexes have to be increasing.

Thanks!
Hi
You are indeed pointing out a limitation in the Input Spline Path module. But it should not be a problem, since you can define the range in the Shape Extrusion module too: First, remove the Range parameters you inputted in the Input Spline Path module, then use the Range and Length options in the Shape Extrusion module, under its Path tab.
Did this help?
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(03-06-2022, 02:16 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi
You are indeed pointing out a limitation in the Input Spline Path module. But it should not be a problem, since you can define the range in the Shape Extrusion module too: First, remove the Range parameters you inputted in the Input Spline Path module, then use the Range and Length options in the Shape Extrusion module, under its Path tab.
Did this help?

Ok, got it. I knew about the range, and it is indeed a way to do it, but the issue is that it's not as flexible. As I tweak the shape of my spline, moving CPs around, using the path range continues working as expected. Whereas if I have to use the range on the extrusion node, I would have to constantly change the range value as I move CPs.

I think what I'll do for now is add an extra CP and move it very close to the first one.

Anyway, if it's not a hard tech limitation to overcome, it'd be nice to support that feature, even if I have to check a checkbox to explicitly have the range join with the origin CP.

Amazing tool btw. I just got a good grasp on how to handle complex UVs today and it's pretty well done.
(03-06-2022, 02:44 PM)niuage Wrote: Ok, got it. I knew about the range, and it is indeed a way to do it, but the issue is that it's not as flexible. As I tweak the shape of my spline, moving CPs around, using the path range continues working as expected. Whereas if I have to use the range on the extrusion node, I would have to constantly change the range value as I move CPs.
I see why using CPs is more convenient in your case. You can always use a script to make the Range of the Shape Extrusion be automatically updated, when a spline is modified, so that its updated value matches the changes in the spline. In other words, listen to the spline's OnRefresh event, and with each refresh, set the Range so that it starts at:

yourSpline.TfToDistance(yourCP.Tf) / yourSpline.Length

Wrote this code on top of my head, might have minor mistakes.
Do you see the idea behind what I suggested?

(03-06-2022, 02:44 PM)niuage Wrote: Anyway, if it's not a hard tech limitation to overcome, it'd be nice to support that feature, even if I have to check a checkbox to explicitly have the range join with the origin CP.

I added this feature in the requested features backlog. Will try to implement it in an upcoming update.

(03-06-2022, 02:44 PM)niuage Wrote: Amazing tool btw. I just got a good grasp on how to handle complex UVs today and it's pretty well done.

Thank you, happy to see that you are liking the tool.
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Thanks for the workaround, I'll do that if I really need to!
Also glad you'll also consider making that work  Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 13 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM
  Keeping a fixed spline length jh092 3 16 02-21-2024, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Primrose44
  How could I get position in spline from "From" value in BuildRasterizedPath? Chanon 1 8 02-12-2024, 09:54 PM