Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamic path
I am trying to use Curvy as a way-point system.
I need to make a path between my object and a target point. I dynamically create a new CurvySpline with those two points transforms. Is there a way to pass initial object rotation to make it a curved route , not a straight line without too much calculations?

public SplineWalkerDistance _splineWalker;

_splineWalker.Spline = CreateSpline();

CurvySpline CreateSpline()
{
        if ( Vector3.SqrMagnitude( _target.position - transform.position ) < 1f)
            return null;

CurvySpline spline = CurvySpline.Create();
        spline.SetControlPointRotation = true;
        spline.Closed = false;
        spline.InitialUpVector = CurvyInitialUpDefinition.ControlPoint;
        spline.AutoEndTangents = true;
        spline.Granularity = 10;
        spline.AutoRefresh = true;
        spline.AutoRefreshLength = true;
        spline.AutoRefreshOrientation = true;
        spline.ShowApproximation = true;

Vector3[] vec = new Vector3[2];
        vec[0] = transform.position;
        vec[1] = _target.position;
        spline.Add(vec);

return spline;
}

(01-24-2014, 12:08 AM)'savely00' Wrote: Is there a way to pass initial object rotation to make it a curved route , not a straight line without too much calculations?

You can set CP rotation easily by altering a CP's transform (access it using mySpline.ControlPoints[x]), but that would only change orientation (=the Up-Vector) of the spline, not the curve itself.
Having a spline with just two CPs will result in a straight line, no matter what. You'll need to tell the spline more about the curvation you want:
  • Let AutoEndTangents enabled and add a CP in the middle that the curve will go through automatically
  • disable AutoEndTangents and use 4 CPs. Set CP 1+2 to your start and end position and use CP 0 and CP 3 to define the curvation
  • Use 2 CPs like now but set Interpolation to Bezier and alter the Handles to define the curve
I guess the first solution would be the easiest calculation wise while the other two gives you total control. What about having 3 CPs with CP0: a previous position of the object, CP1: current position, CP2: target position and starting at TF 0.333 or CurvySpline.SegmentToTF().

Jake
Thank you Jake.

For now I went with the first solution but later I'll play with the other suggestions as well.

-Savely

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disable rebuild of meshes in dynamic mode Zilk1 1 8 10-04-2023, 09:50 AM
Last Post: _Aka_
Wink Train carriage with 2 bogies following a path arcadeperfect 9 27 08-25-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: arcadeperfect
  Generator does not exactly follow the path F.A.L. 3 4 04-24-2023, 03:49 PM
  How to expand/contract path? Ferdinand 5 24 10-12-2022, 02:31 PM