Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving object along spline close to player
Wink 
Hi all! 
Apologies if this is a dumb question I'm still relatively new to Unity. I'd like to move a cube along the spline close to the player so it follows the player as they walk around the spline

Trying to basically copy this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yb9kWqYbz0&t=130s

Any help would be much appreciated! I tried my best, messing about with the position slider in the default Spline Controller and that seems to move it around the track perfectly like I want but I'm just struggling with the actually moving it towards the player part. Also tried to extend the SplneController class to make my own but I was having a hard time digging through everything to try to figure out how to even move the cube.

Thank you very much!
Hi
Take a look at the example scene 05_NearestPoint, I believe it does what you are asking for.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Wink 
(12-23-2021, 10:33 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi
Take a look at the example scene 05_NearestPoint, I believe it does what you are asking for.
Have a nice day

Thank you very much! I was digging through the example scenes but I somehow missed that one
(12-23-2021, 10:33 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: Hi
Have a nice day

Yay! thank you so much I got it working! Now I just have to figure out the rotation and I'll be good any help or even a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated~
https://imgur.com/a/tT5o2Dt
You can use CurvySpline.GetOrientationFast
Other usefull methods: GetOrientationUpFast and GetTangentFast. Take a look also on the other similarly named methods

I hope this helped
If and when you feel like it, please leave a review for the asset, that helps a lot.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
(12-24-2021, 10:21 AM)_Aka_ Wrote: You can use CurvySpline.GetOrientationFast
Other usefull methods: GetOrientationUpFast and GetTangentFast. Take a look also on the other similarly named methods

I hope this helped
If and when you feel like it, please leave a review for the asset, that helps a lot.
Have a nice day

Will definitely! Much appreciate the assistance
Hiya again!

Sorry for the bother but I'm running into a weird issue with GetNextSegment and GetPreviousSegment I'm at the point where I'm trying to get the player attached to the box and I want to rotate them around the ledge by being attached to the box. 

Currently if I use GetPreviousSegment it works fine and my character spins around the box at light speed in the reverse direction, skipping CP0
If I do GetNextSegment however, they make it to CP0 and then it just stalls and the character won't move around anymore.

I tried using GetNextControlPointUsingFollowUp as well but it still got hung up on the same spot

Apologies for the spaghetti code I was planning on cleaning it up much more once I got it actually working haha

Code:
IEnumerator ShuffleLeft(float waitTime){
    var lookPos = transform.position - player.transform.position;
    lookPos.y = 0; //lock
    if (lookPos != Vector3.zero){ //need this to fix an error being spammed
    var rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(lookPos);
        }
    nearestTF = Spline.GetNearestPointTF(transform.position, Space.World); 

nearestTFSegment =  Spline.TFToSegment(nearestTF);
    CurvySplineSegment nextSegment = Spline.GetPreviousSegment(nearestTFSegment);
    float nextTF = Spline.SegmentToTF(nextSegment);
    Debug.Log(Spline.GetNextControlPoint(nextSegment));

Quaternion nearestOrientation = Spline.GetOrientationFast(nextTF, false,Space.World);
        transform.rotation = nearestOrientation;

ledgeHitBoxPosition = Spline.Interpolate(nextTF, Space.World);
        transform.position = ledgeHitBoxPosition;

player.transform.position = new Vector3(ledgeHitBoxPosition.x,ledgeHitBoxPosition.y-1.185749f,ledgeHitBoxPosition.z);// moves the player vertically into place
    playerNearestOrientation.Set(player.transform.rotation.x,nearestOrientation.y,player.transform.rotation.z,1);
    lookPos = transform.position - player.transform.position;

rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(lookPos);
            player.transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp(transform.rotation,rotation,0f);
            player.transform.Rotate(11,-90,-180); //rotation offset
            yield return new WaitForSecondsRealtime(waitTime);
            shuffling = false;
}

--Edit-- nevermind sorry for the bother but I managed to get it working in a very silly way by taking use of the built in spline controller to handle smoothly moving it works now! if you have a better way that i should have done it i still would like to hear tho
Hi
Glad that you solved the issue.
Spline Controller is the best fit for most use cases where you want an object to follow a spline.
If you have any specific question, and that looking at the documentation and example codes did not answer that question, feel free to ask me about it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curvy Line Renderer for UI Spline? gekido 1 1 1 hour ago
Last Post: _Aka_
  Get position of all control points for a spline gekido 1 2 1 hour ago
Bug Changing spline connection in inspector causes splines to revert to defaults lacota 3 6 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  GO can't fit end of the spline GameDeveloperek4123 3 13 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM