Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great product! Documentation needs work!
Curvey splines is a great product but I loathe every time I need to figure out how to do something with it because the documentation is really lacking.

Take this for example - 
https://curvyeditor.com/documentation/extend/apigeneral

It shows a list of "commonly used methods" but there's not a single mention that those methods exist on the CurvySpline class and there's hardly any c# examples.

The documentation is laid out as a "description of things" but it would be really helpful if it was in a "guide format," as in here's how you do this or use this with code examples.
The video tutorials do this best, but they're terrible for referencing. Ie: How do I programmatically create a spline with control points and move an object across it by distance and not F. To figure this out, I literally have to watch all the videos to find out where this is talked about. There's no good or easy way to figure this out on the website because it's essentially just a list of properties, classes and methods with no code examples.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I honestly hope this is helpful because it might help a lot of other people too.
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to write this feedback.

Adding coding examples for simple tasks is a good idea. I will try to do that after finishing the version 8 release.

Right now, the way I was hoping people will learn Curvy Splines with is to look at the example scenes and their scripts. Then, using the documentation form curvyeditor.com for the editor, and api.curvyeditor.com for the api to know more about what they see in the example scenes. This does not invalidate your point, since it is best to have a page with just the relevant part of the code, rather than a scene that the user has to look into.

About the commonly used methods, their is a sentence at the top of that section that says "This applies for Curvy Spline". Did you miss that or was is not phrased properly (not stating the CurvySpline class)?

Feel free to share with me any enhancements you think about.
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.
Thank you for taking my feedback positively! I really do appreciate it.

(08-26-2021, 06:47 PM)_Aka_ Wrote: Right now, the way I was hoping people will learn Curvy Splines with is to look at the example scenes and their scripts. Then, using the documentation form curvyeditor.com for the editor, and api.curvyeditor.com for the api to know more about what they see in the example scenes. 

This is really helpful! I think it'd be great if there was something on the website that said "Refer to example scenes for ..." just so it can point the user in the right direction. Something maybe worth considering, a lot of people don't want to include demo scenes\assets into their main project as it bloats the repo, they would have to fire up a new instance of Unity to view the demos. A quick google search would be way more powerful.

Quote: their is a sentence at the top of that section that says "This applies for Curvy Spline"

I saw this and it's great for someone who's only using Curvy from the inspector but still left my scratching my head from a code perspective. It wasn't directly clear that "Curvy Spline" was referring to the class but that's probably my bad for not reading into it a little more. 

Thank you and again Curvy has been a great product! Appreciate it Smile
Thanks for the suggestions an praise.
If and when you feel like it, please leave a review for the asset, that helps a lot.
Have a nice day
Please consider leaving a review for Curvy. This will help a lot keeping Curvy relevant in the eyes of the Asset Store algorithm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GUILayout.TextField:s dont work with CurveySplines Mike Danielsson 6 12 09-01-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: _Aka_
Question How to modify Example 12 to work bi-directionally and more than 2 connected splines Mambosa 3 17 11-29-2022, 06:59 PM
  How do waypoint collisions work? funkd 1 2,363 05-21-2019, 10:29 PM
  Script inheriting SplineController doesn't work the same as adding component? clearleaf 1 2,177 04-28-2019, 12:41 PM